Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Append to .YXDB

benblaisdellboa
6 - Meteoroid

Hi team, I rarely use .yxdb's as I am typically in SQL, so forgive my ignorance with this question.  If I am just trying to append data to an existing .yxdb, how do I do that?  I use the output data tool, and it simply overwrites my whole database. I am trying to create a time series of an error log, so I want to track the changes over time.  When I select, the output data tool, it does not give me an update option like it does in SQL, and hence it just overwrites it.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @benblaisdellboa 

You would have to read the existing data and append to new data before writing to output to maintain append functionality.

atcodedog05_0-1634820528263.png

Hope this helps : )

annedione
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @benblaisdellboa 

Your question has already been raised , you can find an interesting post on the topic.

At the moment the append option is not available with a yxdb.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/can-you-append-records-to-an-existing-... 

you may find this article useful as well:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Append-to-YXDB/ta-p/10610 

Thx

benblaisdellboa
6 - Meteoroid

Super simple.....just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some dropdown some place.  THX!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @benblaisdellboa 

Cheers and have a nice day!

mkeiffer
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05  This is a very interesting approach and I think it might be what I am looking for.  However, what if my workflow is creating the initial Alteryx database the first time it runs, and then on subsequent runs, I want to append to the Alteryx database?  How do I create this existing database to union with the new data?  

With the approach of importing the existing database and then using the Union tool to combine it with the new data, the first time I run the workflow, there isn't an existing Alteryx database to import.  Any suggestions on how I can create this?

Labels