Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx cant read CSV due to quotations

jportello
7 - Meteor

Hello, I have a CSV file that every value is separated by quotes but alteryx is reading the file weird and recognizing it all as one field. See the snippet attached. 

i cannot provide sample data.

thank you very much in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

CSV file data comes in one column only,

you have use regex expression to separate the data

try this regex formula REGEX_Replace([Field_1], "\s{2,}","|")

it will add | for every 2 spaces and you can use text to columns

jportello
7 - Meteor

I tried your solution but got this error:

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Your example image doesn't seem to have a delimiter specified.

If the data is split by quotes, set that as your delimiter and it should split it for you.

before.PNGafter.PNG

jportello
7 - Meteor

Hello, thank you for your suggestion. I did try that as my very first solution but alteryx gives me an error that states that it cannot use a quote as a field delimiter. See attachment. 

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Sorry, forgot a bit. Scroll down in the file input and change the ignore delimiters in quotes to be single quotes or auto and give that a shot. 

3.PNG

jportello
7 - Meteor

Okay, not exactly perfect but that worked good enough! It popped out extra blank columns (see snip) but I can just use the select tool to remove those from my output file.

Thanks

jportello
7 - Meteor

Actually it didnt work out. It's not separating all the data correctly and I'm ending up with values in the wrong columns... for example I'm getting $$ in my Invoice Date field. See attachment

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

We must be missing something here. I know you said you cant provide sample data, but can you upload a sample file with just the headers? A screenshot of the first few lines of data from notepad or notepad++ or a mock file with a few lines of fake data?

As a check, if you import the file using \0 to use no delimiter, indicate that the first row contains data, and a formula tool to count the number of quotes REGEX_CountMatches([header],'"') does every line have the same number of quotes or are there extras in some lines?

Labels