Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Identifying Highlighted Rows in Input Tool

cpearse
6 - Meteoroid

Hello. I am looking to see if it is possible for Alteryx to recognize highlighted rows in the input file. In the example below, it would be helpful if I could make a note in a different column for the rows that were highlighted.

cpearse_0-1626362911123.png

I know that Alteryx does not easily identify highlighted rows, but was wondering if there could be a workaround for this.

7 REPLIES 7
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @cpearse,

Thinking aloud I don't *believe* there's a way to determine if they were highlighted manually, if it's done by a conditional formatting formula then you could simply build that into the workflow.

Always happy to be proved wrong...!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @cpearse and @Jonathan-Sherman 

I believe this may be possible by bringing the xlsx sheet into Alteryx as an Zipped file, to be able to access the XML surrounding it. I have done something similar before (documented here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Hi-everyone-Please-help-with-the-attac...) and massively credit @danilang for his genius behind this.

I will give this a test shortly, and let you know if this works for this use-case, however it does bring through information about the cell, such as the formula behind the value as shown in the example.

Hope this helps!
TheOC

Bulien
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I have followed this logic with the following excel spreadsheet:

TheOC_0-1626364727669.png

And it grants the following XML:

TheOC_2-1626364913797.png

I believe the " s="1" " part to signify that is highlighted. However this may need more experimentation.
Using that as a test however, and bringing in the dataset normally and joining it:

TheOC_3-1626364937963.png

I have attached this as a workflow, if you want to give it a test for yourself. However, if you supply a different workflow, bare in mind that it will reset all settings in the configuration window. Take a screenshot of the configuration, so you know what to change it to, when adding a new workflow:

Bulien
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @TheOC 

Here's an extract from styles.xml in your workbook

<fills count="3">
	<fill>
		<patternFill patternType="none"/>
	</fill>
	<fill>
		<patternFill patternType="gray125"/>
	</fill>
	<fill>
		<patternFill patternType="solid">
			<fgColor rgb="FFFFFF00"/>
			<bgColor indexed="64"/>
		</patternFill>
	</fill>
</fills>
<borders count="1">
	<border>
		<left/>
		<right/>
		<top/>
		<bottom/>
		<diagonal/>
	</border>
</borders>
<cellStyleXfs count="1">
	<xf numFmtId="0" fontId="0" fillId="0" borderId="0"/>
</cellStyleXfs>
<cellXfs count="2">
	<xf numFmtId="0" fontId="0" fillId="0" borderId="0" xfId="0"/>
	<xf numFmtId="0" fontId="0" fillId="2" borderId="0" xfId="0" applyFill="1"/>
</cellXfs>

The s="1"  that you mention refers to xf[1] in the <cellXfs> element list(0-based indexing).   This element has the attribute "fillId=2" which refers to fill[2] in the <fills> list

Dan

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @danilang 

Once again, reflecting your brilliance,
I'm interested in having a deeper dive into this, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@TheOC 

Not brilliance...just far too many years of experience.

Dan

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Once again @danilang saves another day and amazes us with the power of XML 😎

Labels