Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adjust highest record row based on another row

EricDavis
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Raw Data:   
Field 1Field 2Field 3Amount
EricDavisLA15
EmmaDavisLA-80
HannahDavisLA-10
EmmaCaseLA40
EmmaEvansLA50

I have the above raw data sample (millions of lines) and I need to adjust the highest "Amount" field based on other records with matching columns (in this example only "Field 1"/"Field 3"). The output would need to show the in/out of adjustment.

I did this in Microsoft ACCESS through a max query and for loop iteration. How would I achieve this in Alteryx?

Sample output (Hannah had no other positive "Amount" matching records to offset, so not included)

Output:   
EmmaDavisLA80
EmmaCaseLA-30
EmmaEvansLA-50
5 REPLIES 5
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Why do you have Emma Case LA -30? Shouldn't it be -40? Also, if this is true, I don't quite get what you are doing here, for me you are just multiplying the numbers by -1.

EricDavis
7 - Meteor

I have to re-allocate the -80 for Emma/Davis/LA to offset other records.

The highest matching for Emma/LA is line 5 with total of 50. so need to adjust that line by -50

Remaining balance is -30.

Next highest matching is line 4 with 40. So need to adjust that line by -30.

No more negatives for Emma/LA so no more adjusting needed.

Hannah/LA doesn't have any matching positive records so no adjustments to be made.

The output shows the change/movement that is occurring (which is needed to book a journal entry).

The final table after adjustment would look like:

EricDavisLA15
EmmaDavisLA0
HannahDavisLA-10
EmmaCaseLA10
EmmaEvansLA0
EricDavis
7 - Meteor

I've attached a workflow that has the example in it. I did the sort, find highest and joined them together line by line. Which can then be broken back up. However, once i allocate the negative to first line, i need the next line to show the updated balance for allocation (in a full dataset there could be more than 2 lines that are adjusted with the same Field 1/Field 3 matches, so couldn't get the multi-row tool to work for myself).

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Maybe this is what you are looking for. I just don't know how you get to that last table you posted.

EricDavis
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your help! Using this i was able to make the attached that solved the situation. Your workflow worked for up to 1 row duplication and didn't get the adjustment. Looks like i needed to do get two fields updated within the multi row tool. Not elegant, but i did a concatenated field to get remaining/adjustment balance and then delimited later when making the output.

Labels