Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding a Total Column

ebledsoe22
8 - Asteroid

Hello. I am working on an Apportionment workflow for my employer. I have a column for category and states across the top. I am trying to enter a total column next to the category row that sums up the values for each state for each category row. What is the best way to do this?

11 REPLIES 11
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@ebledsoe22 

Please check the below post. There are some solutions on how to add the column totals. Hope this works for your scenario.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Total-Column/td-p/15782

Best,

Jagdeesh

ebledsoe22
8 - Asteroid

I didn't see anything that could lead me to a total column. I just need the total of each row of values. In excel it would be a simple =sum(num1, num2, etc.)

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @ebledsoe22 

To understand your question better and can you please post same samples and the desired output.

That will be best way to explain more than paragraphs written to explain the problem.

I can help to reach your desired output.

Many thanks

Shanker V

ebledsoe22
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ShankerV ,

See my screenshot below as an example of my goal output. I already have the category column and each state. Now I just need the total column. 

ebledsoe22_1-1666888680036.png

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @ebledsoe22 

Thanks for sharing the sample.

Here is my output for you.

1. Use formula tool to Sum all the State.

New column = Total

Formula = AL + AK + AZ + AR

This will fetch you the desired Total column.

But this will be at the end of all the columns

2. Use select tool to bring it next to the State column

That will resolve your issue.

ebledsoe22
8 - Asteroid

So there isn't an easier way to sum up each category? I have over 60 columns.

DataNath
17 - Castor

@ebledsoe22 if you download the CReW macros pack - created by @MarqueeCrew and Co. - there’s a macro in there called ‘Add Totals’ which gives you the option to add total columns, rows or both. Link here: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html?m=1

Once you’ve downloaded and installed the macros, they’ll automatically appear in a new tool palette like any other tool.

The way to do it yourself is transpose the data and then re-Cross Tab it, also selecting the row/column total options when choosing an aggregation.

ebledsoe22
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath Thank you for this resource. I will try it and let you guys know how it goes.

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Sure @ebledsoe22

Labels