Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add a column from a table to another table

TormentMaker
8 - Asteroid

Hey guys, im doing a project in alteryx designer and i'm with a problem, i have one table:

Adrian514/05/2021
Adriane614/05/2021
Aghata714/05/2021
Alex 1314/05/2021
Rachel2114/05/2021
Robert2414/05/2021

With these values, the thing is, i have another one single table with only a date: 

18/11/2022

Yes, this date in the only value of the table i already have, the thing is, i want to create a new column with this value in the first table for every single row, but i since it's not a constant value, i can't do it manually

4 REPLIES 4
dougperez
12 - Quasar

Hello!

Try to use Append Fields! And remember to configure to allow all appends if your dataset has more than 16 rows:

dougperez_0-1621003288805.png

If this helped you, mark as solution! 

TormentMaker
8 - Asteroid

Thanks buddy, that helped a lot!

tinapai
5 - Atom

It looks like the append fields tool multiplies the number of rows, making new rows with the new date column but also keeping all the old rows with nulls in the new column. Is there a way to make it only keep the new rows so that I don't multiply out the number of rows and don't have a bunch of nulls?

Tho, i guess it would be easy to throw a filter on after to filter out all rows with null for the new column, but i wish it wasn't two steps like that.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @tinapai 

The issue happens because the 2nd table contains 1 valid row but multiple null. So there is no running away from cleaning out the nulls in the 2nd table - which you can do by a number of ways e.g. Cleanse Tool, Filter Tool etc...

Also - the Append Tool creates NxM rows with N being the number of rows in the first input and M being the number of rows in the 2nd input. 

I highly suggest you try out the Interactive Lessons, at least the ones marked with "Core" to get a solid grounding. If you are a heavy Excel users, this is a must-do: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Excel%20Us...

Dawn.

Labels