Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Achieve same result same as vlookup .

Pratik1996
7 - Meteor

I have two table having some data. i need to lookup the matched values from two tables. first matched value only. i have attached the screenshot. how to achieve the result through alteryx. Join tool query.png

7 REPLIES 7
dhrathod
7 - Meteor

You need to remove dupliacates from table2 (col. User id2)

This will remove the 2nd occurrence.

Then use find and replace tool to get the desired results.

If possible. Please share complete data or workflow

Use export workflow to save the workflow. 

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Please provide relevant data to this use case, and kindly provide your criteria in as much detail as possible. If you have a workflow built halfway, kindly export that over as well.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Pratik1996
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your response ,

I cant remove 2nd occurrence, my requirement is to : pick up first matched value from 2nd table. 

In excel Vlookup matches first occurrence value.

dhrathod
7 - Meteor

Yes, excel picks up the 1st occurrence while doing lookup.

The tool in Alteryx to perform lookup is find and replace.

You need to use unique tool to remove the 2nd occurrence from 2nd table.

Then use find and replace to perform the lookup.

I understand that the data is what you have shared in the query.

If the data is different then share it here or share the complet workflow.

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It’s important to note that Excel’s VLOOKUP will pick up the first valid value that you are marking against. 

Whereas in Alteryx, using the Join tool to map a value could result in multiple outcomes due to its relationship (one-to-many, many-to-one, etc.). 

So if you want to map exactly, you either use more keys to map in your join tool or you use a Unique tool to get your figure - you may also need to sort if your data is ordinal. 

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Pratik1996 I would recommend you have a look at the Alteryx & Excel Guide and specifically Alteryx for Excel Users: How to do a VLOOKUP in Alteryx.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For the same length for a Find, Alteryx will select the last value. So you could reverse your table before the Find and Replace table. (Alternatively you could use the Unique Tool as others have suggested).

See potential solution attached,

image.png

Labels