Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.

Need urgent help: split data by columns

user1850275
5 - Atom

Hi all - 

I need help with splitting my data file into different tables split by column. I need all columns with one data source together and the others together, but right now they are in the same file. 

ApplesApplesBananaBanana
datadatadatadata

Make it to:

ApplesApples
datadata

and 

Bananabanana
datadata

I dont want to merge the data -> just seperate it out into different tables

4 REPLIES 4
griffinwelsh
11 - Bolide

Are there more than 2 groups in your actual data set and are you wanting the tables output as separate files or just separate anchors in your workflow? One issue that you will run into is that Alteryx does not allow duplicate column header names like you show in your data structure. You can still run the transformation but you will get field numbers appended to your column headers unless you are exporting a file that supports this format.

user1850275
5 - Atom

seperate anchors in my workflow

that's fine; field numbers can get appended its okay with me I do need seperate workflows for each of the groups of tables

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@user1850275 
We can not have the same field names but if we output to Excel, we can play some tricks.

We still use the appended field names but blend the original header into data field and Choose "Skip Field Names" when outputting to Excel.
End up a Batch Macro. 😁

0711-user1850275-A.png0711-user1850275-B.png

user1850275
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I want to be able to do this without a batch macro: I have some similiar columns and I want to split by the type of column it is and split into different tables; I undestand I can do this with the select tool but is there a more efficient way for alteryx to seperate out the columns and create new tables: the rows are not changing; each table is only changing by the columns we are selecting.

Revenue2021Revenue2022Revenue2023Sales2021Sales2022Sales2023Cancellations2021Cancellations2022Cancellations2023  

I want to seperate it out so that it looks like: 

Revenue2021Revenue2022Revenue2023

is one table; and the rest are created as similiar tables