Maveryx Community Resources

Get up-and-running on the Community and with Alteryx in record time.

Designer Cheat Sheet

ianwi
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

If you are reading this post, odds are that you recognize the value of Alteryx Designer, but you aren’t quite sure you have the knowledge to leverage it for your use. We know it can be challenging to find the right tool when you are just starting out, especially if you only have a 30-day trial. That is why we created this Designer Cheat Sheet  to help you get to your data insights right away.

On the first page, you will find some of the most popular tools used to build Designer workflows. Hover over a tool icon to read a brief description of what it does and select the icon to visit the Help documentation page for that tool. Whether you want to organize your dataset, perform a calculation, or modify an aspect of your dataset, Designer has a tool for you.

The second page lists some common actions you may want to perform and the tool(s) that can perform those actions. You will also find tips for using functions in Designer, including a nifty table that lists function categories and the datatypes those functions work with. Finally, you will find some useful terms and their definitions.

Whether you just downloaded the trial, or you are looking for an additional resource to refer to while learning how to use Designer, this cheat sheet can help you get familiar with the basics and on your way to data discoveries. Download a PDF of the cheat sheet below or bookmark this article. To learn more about Designer, check out our Interactive Lessons and the Tool Mastery Index.  

Designer Cheat Sheet - V2003-Final_Page_1.png

Designer Cheat Sheet - V2003-Final_Page_2.png

Attachments
Comments
CiaranA
10 - Fireball

This is great to share with new users in my organisation, thanks. 

papalow
8 - Asteroid

@ianwi 

Great post.  Wish I had your designer cheat sheet a year ago when I started using Alteryx.  

abaron12
5 - Atom

This is good information, thanks.

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks @ianwi  - this is great! 

Gopinaath
8 - Asteroid

Just a suggestion for the cheat sheet. I think the select tool should be connected to both rearrange and datatype. More than rearranging fields and renaming, I use the select tool more often for changing datatypes after bringing a csv file (note that all fields in a csv are string data types). Autofield may not always be the most optimal tool for changing data types.

EC55
8 - Asteroid

@IanWi this is AMAZING!! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!! 

RBERN
5 - Atom

As a relatively new user to alteryx, I'd like to say thank you! So far I've had a good time learning how to use alteryx and all the benefits it provides, but this cheat sheet is already making the learning process a lot easier! 

devangibohra
6 - Meteoroid

this is super helpful! Thanks for making this!

DotDigitals
7 - Meteor

Impressive

sharsha315
7 - Meteor

Great Post. Thank You.

mkbhagat
7 - Meteor

Great document to get familiar with tool and its usage.

Jb_bernard
5 - Atom

Looking forward to use this tool.

mawunyo
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, this is very useful. That is thoughtful of you. I appreciate it.

Shane_t98
6 - Meteoroid

This is a great starting point for users new to Alteryx. Thank you for sharing. :)

moabdeen
5 - Atom

Awesome and great resources

Diego_gn
5 - Atom

I recently started a new job where they use alteryx to their processes, I have been learning in my own and this cheat sheet is a great starting point for new alteryx users like me, thanks!🤠

Vamshi32123
5 - Atom

8-asteroid

david_s_stewart
5 - Atom

Yes, this is good.

parveena
5 - Atom

yes this is very useful

Asim_Sid
5 - Atom

I have recently started learning Alteryx and this cheatsheet would come in so handy. Thanks ianwi.

chandrika_19
5 - Atom

I have recently started learning and using Alteryx. But it is really easy and makes the work easier.

@ianwi wrote:

If you are reading this post, odds are that you recognize the value of Alteryx Designer, but you aren’t quite sure you have the knowledge to leverage it for your use. We know it can be challenging to find the right tool when you are just starting out, especially if you only have a 30-day trial. That is why we created this Designer Cheat Sheet  to help you get to your data insights right away.

On the first page, you will find some of the most popular tools used to build Designer workflows. Hover over a tool icon to read a brief description of what it does and select the icon to visit the Help documentation page for that tool. Whether you want to organize your dataset, perform a calculation, or modify an aspect of your dataset, Designer has a tool for you.

The second page lists some common actions you may want to perform and the tool(s) that can perform those actions. You will also find tips for using functions in Designer, including a nifty table that lists function categories and the datatypes those functions work with. Finally, you will find some useful terms and their definitions.

Whether you just downloaded the trial, or you are looking for an additional resource to refer to while learning how to use Designer, this cheat sheet can help you get familiar with the basics and on your way to data discoveries. Download a PDF of the cheat sheet below or bookmark this article. To learn more about Designer, check out our Interactive Lessons and the Tool Mastery Index.  

Designer Cheat Sheet - V2003-Final_Page_1.png

Designer Cheat Sheet - V2003-Final_Page_2.png

te

dsi
5 - Atom

Thank for this summary.

MAkash
5 - Atom

Yes this is very useful 

MAkash
5 - Atom

akashm@srmist.edu.in

Esther_Mo
5 - Atom

nice one 

Sunil9575
5 - Atom

Thank you for sharing ,this is useful post.

10-FIRE BALL

harshini_2003
5 - Atom

Thanks for sharing very helpful for learning

Ciec
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for sharing!

shaikshoaib23
5 - Atom

5-atom

shaikshoaib23
5 - Atom

5-Atom

SYAMALA_YALLA007
5 - Atom

5 ATOM

celuck
6 - Meteoroid

This is very helpful - thank you! 

Anugroho
5 - Atom

Thank you , useful - informative - make easy to find path need to do. Much appreciate.

SakshiShahare
6 - Meteoroid

thank you  for good explanation

codyzucker
5 - Atom

This is very helpful even just for a reminder. Thanks!