Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alter.Nation

Community news, customer stories, and more!
LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

For the past several years we've run a little contest during the month of December called #SANTALYTICS.

#SANTALYTICS 2016, viz by @Ianweinstock#SANTALYTICS 2016, viz by @IanweinstockBefore we introduce this years challenge, I figured it would be good to provide a bit of history on this very special Alteryx Community tradition.

#SANTALYTICS - A History

Two years ago we launched the inaugural Santalytics challenge — an all-inclusive, non-denominational, secular, festive excuse for some friendly competition using Alteryx.

In 2016, community members were invited to participate in a set of four challenges to help one small elf get the big guy in the red suit (ie Santa) around the globe. Everyone who participated got rewarded with a badge and the now infamous Alteryx Community Cold Weather Kit.

In 2017, we took a slightly different approach and designed our challenges to re-create the ever so popular Periodic Table of Alteryx Tools. Not only did we automate the creation of THE most popular SWAG giveaway of all time, we also ended up producing our Community's very first (and last) rap video 😎

SANTALYTICS-collage.png

For a deeper look into the ghost of Santalytics past, check out the SANTALYTICS Blog series.

We are excited to bring you #SANTALYTICS yet again, this time with a different kind of flavor...

santalytics-banner-seasonofgiving.png

As a child, my parents would do their best to teach me that the Holidays were about more than just presents under the Christmas tree. My response, was always the same...

"Yeah yeah... that's great — where's that gameboy Santa promised me?"

SNL-presents.gif

As an adult, and more importantly -- someone who finally has the time and resources to give back, I make more of an effort to embrace the season of giving, get out of my head, and take some time to give back to those in need.

This years challenge is designed to inspire, motivate, and maybe even provide some practical advice to help you embrace the season of giving too!

THE CHALLENGE

As we reach the end of the year its not uncommon to get pre-occupied with family gatherings, travel plans, holiday parties and buying gifts, but don’t overlook the importance of giving gifts (ie charitable contributions while you can still claim the income tax deduction).

Now let me preface this with the fact that the ultimate motivation of any charitable gift should always be that you support the mission and vision of that particular charity. That said, many of us have no idea where to begin and also want to make sure our hard earned dollars go to good use.

For the first part of the challenge, we take a look at IRS data and invite participants to help identify a local charity that will make the most of our donation dollars based on several important criteria.

In part two, we'll take it a step further with a surprise optimization problem.

Spoiler
Providing a monetary donation isn't always the best course of action. Depending on the charity, you may be better off donating goods.

secretDwight.gif

IMPORTANT DATES

December 10, 2018: Part 1

December 17, 2018: Part 2

End of December: Solutions Recap

santalytics-2018-2.png

Santalytics is open to everyone! Participation is voluntary and creativity is encouraged. By submitting your solution to any of the 2-part series (by Dec 31st, 2018), you'll be awarded with the #SANTALYTICS 2018 badge.

Now let's have some fun!

Part One of Santalytics 2018 launches on Monday, December 10th.

Leah Knowles
Senior Manager, Community Management & Programs

Leah is responsible for building and growing engagement programs that enable community members to make the most of the Alteryx product suite. She is passionate about building customer communities to collaborate and solve real world business problems, and believes that connecting with people and building relationships leads to better work. Follow her on twitter @LeahMKnowles

Leah is responsible for building and growing engagement programs that enable community members to make the most of the Alteryx product suite. She is passionate about building customer communities to collaborate and solve real world business problems, and believes that connecting with people and building relationships leads to better work. Follow her on twitter @LeahMKnowles