Alter.Nation

Community news, customer stories, and more!
MeganDibble
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

MeganDibble_0-1659385837223.png

Today’s ACE spotlight is @mbarone! Keep reading to learn more about Michael and what makes him a unique Alteryx super user.

Tell us a bit about your professional background.

I have been at the same company since graduating college, some 25+ years ago!  I started out in an entry-level position, and after a year, I moved to Compliance for 11 years, where I wrote technical requirements and coded UIs based on Federal, State, and Local tax regulations.  My longest tenure in the company has been here in the Data Science division (16 years).

Coming out of college with a provisional teaching certificate in secondary ed. (Math concentration), I learned that teaching secondary ed. wasn't for me, so I gave a shot at college-level students (Stats 101 adjunct professor at a local community college) while working on my Masters.  I got a little (okay, a lot!) burnt out with academia and "took a break" while working at my current company.  That break has never ended, and the Universe found a way to put me in a Math-concentrated role doing something I love, in a cutting-edge field that I love!

Alteryx has led to another side gig for me, too… I've authored and published 2 Alteryx courses on Pluralsight:

Alteryx Designer: Getting Started

Building Alteryx Apps and Macros

MeganDibble_98-1659384415896.png

What is one fun thing about you that community members might not know?

I love heavy metal/hard rock and like to target practice!

What is your favorite Alteryx tool, and why?

Easy one. The formula tool. I am a severe minimalist (to a fault sometimes), and oftentimes one formula tool can do the work of six other tools.

What has been your favorite Alteryx project?

Creating a full-on self-service app for non-Alteryx users that is very interactive, flexible, and saves me hours of time every month. 

We run 45-ish models each month – consumers of the outputs are all around the company. Every user wanted different data in their outputs, depending on if they were in sales, marketing, etc. When it was 1-2 models, every output was tailored to each request, but once it grew, we had to create a better solution. Our company purchased Alteryx Server, and we were introduced to Gallery, which allows non-Alteryx users to run apps and self-service data. We created a centralized location with client’s info and models, and we gave users the access so that they could pick the info and models they want to output.

Now, we save tons of time and we can also get information on how much certain models are used and make decisions on whether they can be retired.

What is your favorite Alteryx memory?

Inspire 2019 (Nashville) was one for the ages :) 

With the ACE group, prior to GKO 2019, we were not together a lot. In January 2019, Libby (@LDuane)  approved bringing all ACEs to GKO. We were together all the time—we really bonded and became a family.

When inspire 2019 came, we were together almost all the time. There was an ACE booth to hang out at and it was really interactive and nice to have a home base. One night, 10 or so ACEs came back to the hotel room and were all playing poker using crazy items as chips. Tuvi even had a puzzle made of all ACEs and it was nearly impossible to put together, but we had a heck of a fun time trying! Also, it was my first time in Nashville and that was awesome—I loved it.

MeganDibble_99-1659384450240.png

The impossible ACE puzzle

What advice do you have for new community members?

Be active! Post questions, answer questions, do the weekly challenges and post your solutions, write a blog article, etc.

What is your favorite way to engage as an ACE? Also, what area of the online community do you spend the most time in?

Helping and guiding new members/customers getting started with the product.  Observing when they have that "ah-ha" moment.  Also love engaging with my fellow ACE family. 

Silly question... if you were a kitchen appliance/utensil, what would you be and why?

A long chef's spatula.  Very versatile—it can be used to do many different things beside flipping burgers.  Kind of goes along with my minimalist tendencies LOL!

Ok, now finally, let’s do a quick “This or That” to get to know your Alteryx preferences!

This or That Alteryx Edition (Instagram Story) (18) (1).png

Tune in next week to meet another amazing ACE!

Want to learn more about what ACEs do and how to become one? Check out this page to see details about the program.

Megan Dibble
Sr. Content Manager

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Comments