Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #73: Plinko Probabilities

ALT_2358
9 - Comet

Not the nicest looking solution but it seems to work, as far as I can tell. 

I'm sure there are much simpler ways of doing it, maybe using a macro. 

mithily
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
usage of generate rows
hlombemalandela
7 - Meteor

Challenge complete here is my solution

Tgigs
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.

I took a slightly different approach. In my app, I have the user input 3 values. (1) the width of the plinko board, (2) the height of the plinko board, and (3) the slot that they drop the puck in. Based on these inputs, the probability distribution of plinko board is returned.

Had to employ some R code to simulate the probabilities because I used a nested for loop to iterate through each row and column of the plinko board individually and handle the various cases. Unfortunately could not figure out a way to do this with native Alteryx tools but Im sure there is.

Spoiler.PNG

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

Two outputs, the possible combinations in tabular form or the specific probability:

Spoiler
plinko.png

H_a_n_g_C_h_e_n__x3
8 - Asteroid

Its a very fun challenge

asultanov
8 - Asteroid

Most of the time taken up by wrapping my head around the problem.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-03-29 121702.pngScreenshot 2024-03-29 121715.pngScreenshot 2024-03-29 121728.png
Pilsner
10 - Fireball

Very nice challenge, I tried to take the formulaic approach. I came across several sticking points and had to think of different approaches to usual so it was a great challenge for slightly out-of-the-box thinking.

My solution:

Spoiler

Main workflow:

73.png

Macro:

73 (macro).png