Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #422: Investigating Historical Temperature Records

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

c68b0ad7e10bc62108de889eff2c149c.jpg

Hi Maveryx,

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here. 

In April, we celebrate Earth Month, a time dedicated to raising awareness and taking action for environmental conservation and sustainability.

This weekly challenge delves into temperatures, highlighting their crucial role in our planet's health. The dataset presents comprehensive information on global temperature records, covering various countries worldwide. It includes average temperature records in Celsius for major cities from 1743 to 2013.

To solve this challenge, we will be concentrating on the data from 1950 onwards.

Your tasks are as follows:

1. Determine which cities have average temperatures greater than or equal to 25 degrees.
  2. Among the cities identified in the previous task, identify the country with the highest number of such cities.
  3. Examining all countries within the dataset, pinpoint the year with the highest average temperature and the year with the lowest average temperature across the globe.

Need a refresher? Review these lessons in Academy to gear up:

Source: https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/maso0dahmed/global-temperature-records-1850-2022

Good luck!

AYX-Maveryx_Micro Identity-Maveryx Academy_wordmark.png

mmontgomery
11 - Bolide

C422

Spoiler
422.png
bgreedy
7 - Meteor

Got a bit confused with some of the wording, took me a minute to realize it wanted data from after 1950, not data from 1950 only 😖

Spoiler
Capture-422.PNG

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
422.jpg
aatalai
13 - Pulsar

C422

JAKupchik
7 - Meteor

Attached is my proposed solution.  Thanks!  JAK

JAKupchik
7 - Meteor

I interpreted it the same way, i.e. literally 1950, and made my solution accordingly.

jeprime
7 - Meteor

I noticed a few things in the solutions provided: 
1) in the solution for cities equal to or greater than 25 C, the column title included one of the cities and it's avg. temps. I corrected this.
2) in the solution for years with max and min temperatures, it fails to show the year for the minimum temperature year. I corrected this.

This was a good challenge.

alacoume
8 - Asteroid

My solution

Spoiler
Challenge_422.jpg

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My Solution!! 

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2024-04-16 001955.png