Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #362: Capital Gains Tax when Selling a Home

Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

All,

So as far as the exclusion, I always though that the amount was excluded nd then the residual was then taxed....other wise Luis and Joe could have sold their home for $17K less and then saved about $60K in taxes, but I guess that is for the accountants!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG

AaronSmatta
8 - Asteroid

I excluded the exclusion amount from the total amount that is subject to taxes and I also calculated the taxes based off the brackets in that each tranche would be taxed at the specific rate as opposed to just taxing the entire "overage" by the percent bracket that they ultimately fall under. 

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Had the thrill of solving!!!

Spoiler
ShankerV_0-1680179297329.png

mkeiffer
9 - Comet

It seems to me like the solution did not take into consideration the Exclusion Amount ($250,000 - Single, $500,000 - Married Filing Jointly).  Is it because the challenge did not consider if the people in the examples met the residence requirements to exclude the gains?

I got the "correct" answer but I based my capital gain tax calculation on the assumption that both parties who had capital gains qualified for the exclusion amount.

Can anyone else offer any insight on the activity and the solution?

Thanks in advance!

DataCruncher2
7 - Meteor

fmustafa_DataCrunch_0-1680749960212.png

Here is my solution for this week's challenge. Great Question!

CasperBuenting
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
CasperBuenting_0-1680791851572.png

Yogesh1795
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for this challenge.

To solve I see the income bracket, to conclude what tax% they have to pay.
Now learning the skills to automate it, so that if I have 99999+ records then I don't have to see the Tax % manually.

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

I found the challenge straight forward until I realised there needs to be some form of fuzzy matched involved to join the Tax Rates table to the Home Expenses. Rather than create a lookup table, or create some hardcoded logic with a switch function, I tried to form a dynamic method. Fun stuff.

I also didn't hardcode the % allocation at the end. Used RegEx here. Pretty dynamic way to approach it. If users were to change %s in the table, the workflow should still run fine

Spoiler
Part 1: Overall Screenshot
BS_THE_ANALYST_0-1681424128242.png

Part 2: dynamic lookup table

BS_THE_ANALYST_1-1681423778904.png

Milanz
8 - Asteroid

my solution ;-)

Spoiler
Milanz_0-1681467929659.png

Towers
11 - Bolide