Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #229: Trend Analysis

tristank
11 - Bolide

Hey this was pretty fun! I had no idea how to calculate trend and am terrible at following instructions so I had Chat GPT walk me through it step by step.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-07-26 172152.pngScreenshot 2023-07-26 172322.png
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Done

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Had parked this challenge as i first looked at it on a friday afternoon and didnt fancy the maths. In the end it was a really fun and engaging challenge.

image.png
alacoume
8 - Asteroid

Trend is just linear regression!

Spoiler
Challenge_229.jpg

Hub119
8 - Asteroid

Not the prettiest of output "reports" but it gets the job done in a pinch.  Solution attached.

asultanov
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-02-09 141411.png
olga_strubbe
10 - Fireball

The formulas were quite challenging for me on coming up with the trendline; I, therefore, leveraged the logic on the trend calculations from the solution provided. Thank you, @AYXAcademy, for showing how it is done!

Please see my solution attached.  

Capture.PNG

Rob-Silk
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached below:

Spoiler
challenge_229a_RS_screencap.PNGchallenge_229b_RS_screencap.PNG
Erin
9 - Comet

I am starting my predictive tools journey and knew this one could be accomplished with them, but had to lean on some posted solutions for it to click. Very thankful for @paulfound's post and both of @mustel's posts!

Three routes w/ three Predictive Tools:

Spoiler
First route uses the Pearson Correlation Tool (technically on the Data Investigation pallet but shouldn't do Predictive without Data Investigation first, so they're related) to find r, and a summary tool to find the standard deviations and means. Then a formula tool uses these variables to calculate a and b in y = a +bx as well as apply this formula to the data points. Boom - trendline. Makes you really appreciate models that calc this automatically! 

Second route uses the Linear Regression Model report output to find a and b, where a is the Estimate intercept and b is the [predictor variable] Estimate. This route runs the models once and then manually plugs them in the y = a + bx formula. 

Third route is a fancier more dynamic version of the second route. It adds the Score Tool to calculate the trend line.