Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #94: Have we reached Peak Pumpkin?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

My solution.  Matches all categories except Bakery!

Spoiler
Batch MacroMain

Dan

kat
12 - Quasar

@danilang finished today! :)

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@kat Excellent!  Congratulations.  

I've still got 6 left.  See you at the top.

Dan

kat
12 - Quasar

@danilang thanks! and well done to you too, almost there!

StevenBetts
8 - Asteroid

Here's my solution :)

A bit heavy handed, I feel. But got there in the end.

Spoiler
Challenge 94.jpg
Wouter
8 - Asteroid

my solution:

Spoiler
challenge 94.jpg
JoBen
11 - Bolide

Cheers!

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Whew, this one took me a few evenings and lunch breaks to work through! I'm starting to get the hang of incorporating forecast output with historical data (and also creating batch macros), though!

I couldn't figure out why I wasn't matching the solution, until I finally realized that there is a little issue in the input_macro in the provided solution (#2). The Input and Dynamic Input tools in the solution input_macro are initialized with a relative file path (..\..\externals...)
However, the Replace text in the Action tool is an absolute path (C:\Users...) Since the Replace text isn't present in the tool, nothing is being replaced, and the file path isn't being updated each time the macro runs. Therefore, the solution forecast is based on store #1's data five times.

challenge_94_original_input_macro.png

Spoiler
I also had to look at the solution to realize that I misread the instructions - we have to replace nulls with the week's average across all stores and years (I was averaging across stores, but separate avg for each year/week).
Spoiler

OK, now my output now matches the (updated) solution workflow, but the forecast still looks weird - I'm getting negative forecasts for most products after a few months. I'm not super knowledgeable about the ETS tool, so I'll need to read up on this a little more to figure out what's going on.

challenge_94_bakery_chart.PNG

My workflow:
challenge_94_workflow.png

My macro:
challenge_94_macro.png

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution... I have all the columns, the ETS methodology but the numbers go way faster down then in the solution results... can you let me know if I missed anything?

jssandom
8 - Asteroid

Nice to learn about new tools