This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
We're actively looking for ideas on how to improve Weekly Challenges and would love to hear what you think!Submit Feedback
A big thanks and thumbs up to our Challengers who contributed a submission for our two-part challenge on analyzing social data. It was wonderful to see how different Challengers approached the data analysis itself and your creativity in displaying your insights!
Some of you may know that my pre-Alteryx days included mapping and analyzing the spread of invasive aquatic species in the state of Texas. Giant salvinia, hydrilla...this just sounds like the stuff of nightmares. And, for many aquatic resource specialists, it is! So, when I found a file from the Colorado Department of Transportation's website on noxious weeds in the state, well, you can imagine my excitement 🙂
For this week's Challenge, we'll build an app that would help a potential resource manager understand the coverage of noxious weeds along road segments in Colorado. Design an app to produce two different outputs based on a users selection to "search by road segment" or "search by weed". Depending on the selection, the app should produce a chart of the different weeds and their coverage levels (if selecting to search by road segment) or a table of the road segments and coverage of a weed (if choosing to search by weed).
Happy Challenging! Feel free to up the ante from my suggested outputs to maps, additional output information, or more aesthetically pleasing reports!
I spend way too much time then I expected on reporting tools. Also, I've noticed that the file with 2012 Coverage contains dates from 2011. I left them as is, so my results are a little bit different from the output file.
I left this for ages because it looked like it would require some brain power to complete but it was actually fairly straightforward. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to run different workflows dependant on the user input.
Added a little map of the coverage for the weeds table. We had the spatial data, so decided to use it. Fun challenge with the interface tools, and great practice loading in lists (in cleaned up format) from existing data!
I really did get into the weeds on this one. Solution attached.
It was fun seeing how different folk tackled the challenge of populating the drop-down boxes.
@ChristineB - if you still have a passion for noxious weeds - there's some here in Bangalore that you could take a look at in a local lake near us - the lake recently caught fire because the weeds were trapping nasty pollutants in the water and it all reached flame-point