We've recently made an accessibility improvement to the community and therefore posts without any content are no longer allowed. Please use the spoiler feature or add a short message in the message body in order to submit your weekly challenge.
We are updating the requirements for Community registration. As of 7/21/21 all users will be required to register a phone number with their My Alteryx accounts. If you have already registered, you will be prompted on your next login to add your phone number.

Weekly Challenge

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語

We're actively looking for ideas on how to improve Weekly Challenges and would love to hear what you think!

Submit Feedback

Challenge #45: Parsing Bureau of Labor Data

Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

 Thanks for your participation so far. If you would like to see the solution to last week's challenge, check it out HERE.

This week we will be using the download tool to pull some public employment data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  Once downloaded the data needs to parsed into the required format to prepare it for use.  I have also provided a snapshot of the input data if you have firewall issues accessing the data from the URL, you won't need it if you use the download tool.   If your results differ slightly in row content, the data may have changed at the URL…


Use Case:  The input data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (http://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/compaes.txt) needs to be downloaded and formatted for analytics.  The data set details employee statistics that are adjusted seasonally.


Objective: Download the data from the URL then parse it to match the output shown in the sample output.

Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Here's a solution:


12 - Quasar

Here is another route:

parse txt file.png

17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Similar solution approach as @MattD and @Joe_Mako


My results don't match perfectly though because the data on the website has moved on (i.e. 2015 vs. 2014 data)

🙂 that took way too long to diagnose the problem with the results...



14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

My solution. 


RegEx for the win! Seriously my new favorite tool. Pretty sure my last 10 workflows have contained it in some shape or form... possibly whether they needed it or not.  Challenge #20 was fighting me on the RegEx front a couple weeks ago - might be time to go tackle again... 🙂

15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

This is probably the most tools I've used in a challenge so far...I'm not proud of myself But if it works...it works!


Weekly Challenge 45.png
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution.  Fun parsing challenge.


11 - Bolide

Solution Attached

16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

EDIT: I learned a lot from other's solutions on this one!