Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #3: Running Averages

sprodger
Asteroid

My Solution:

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

AmNotARobot
Asteroid

My workflow is in-elegant, but it works and the results match...

Learned a lot as a consequence. Thank  you

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

MarcusDoesBI
Meteor

Learnt a lot from this one.  Can deffo see myself using this at work in the near future.

RichoBsJ
Bolide

Hi! Here my solution 🙂

Verenala4
Asteroid

Hi,

This one was definitely tougher for me (mostly because it took me a few minutes to understand the task).

My solution is similar to many other replies (I did use the data cleansing tool in addition). I am sure there is a quicker way to get the result but this is what I got.

V

nilaysameer
Meteor

Confounded me - Till I saw the setting on the multi-row formula to make rows values closest to existing for those that do not exist. I would have expected averages to work out no matter what pervious rows were.

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge #3 - Done!

Spoiler

rfergus
Asteroid

Didn't impute null values like the official solution so it didn't have the same ramp up, ramp down values which I think gives a better result.

Johannesm2
Atom

Hi,

Please see attached for my solution workflow. One comment - I did some testing to compare my output with the suggested output, and it seems like the one provided includes some incorrect values. For example, if you look at RecordID #73 in the r6mo_d_CAGI field, then compare that to the supporting data, something seems off. Please let me know if that makes sense or if I can provide more details.

Lastly, is there a way I can check which challenges I've been given credit for?

Thanks!

Johannes

JudyN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello,

Can anyone share how to derive the calculation for the below?

Month: Value: Running 3 mo. Average:

1           218       218

2           200       212

3           272       233

I am confused because shouldn't it be the following?

Month: Value: Running 3 mo. Average:

1           218       218               (218/1=218)

2           200       212               (218+200/2=209)

3           272       233               (218+200+272/3=230)

In the output of the answer, I also see below which is confusing.

Month: Value: Running 3 mo. Average (r3mo_u_CAGI):

1           218       218

2           200       212

3           272       230

Please help to understand the calculation. Thanks.