Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #201: Wage Ain't Nothin' but a Number

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

This challenges focuses on charting the changes in the minimum wage over time since 1968.

For those not familiar, the minimum wage is the lowest hourly wage allowed by law. In the United States, there is a federally mandated minimum, but each state is allowed to enforce their own minimums. Below, you will find a file containing minimum wage data from 1968 - 2017 by state. The Text Input tool classifies each state into a region.

Use the inputs to create a()n (interactive) chart showing each region's average minimum wage by year.

dollar dollar bills.gif

Source: GIPHY

Blake
12 - Quasar

Go Chiefs! 

Not quite sure how to check this against the result we were given to make sure everything is correct.... 

Spoiler
201wf.png201chart.png
Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
201.PNG

Fun practice with the interactive chart tool.

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Here's my solution

Spoiler
The actual challenge was relatively easy. The time consuming part was figuring out exactly how the averages were calculated. I started out assuming that NA was converted to null (which appears to be correct) and that the average of high and low was used (apparently wrong - it looks like the average was taken on the high value only). Following up on @RolandSchubert's comment, it would make more sense if 0 and NA values were replaced with the Federal Rate.
Sylvana
8 - Asteroid

First time using interactive charts. Nice tool 🙂

Spoiler
Wasn't so easy to find out which average is taken for the graph. I used the average of "High".
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution.

Spoiler
The problem was to find out how averages were calculated. Once you realize that only [High.Value] is used and missing values are not replaced by Federal rates, it's quite simple.
RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Here my solution 🙂

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I guess the purpose of this exercise wasn't to get the exact output, but to get us playing with the interactive charting tool, in which case mission accomplished, and definitely better from the last time I used it!

rmassambane
10 - Fireball

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
patrick_digan_0-1580737967901.png