community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Announcement | Get certified today - take the Alteryx Designer Core and Advanced exams on-demand now!

Challenge #176: Math Class Drill

Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Workflow.jpg
Oops, stuck in the spoiler tag, but nice one this week
Bolide

solution attached

Atom

My Solution

Spoiler
alteryx_weeklychallenge.png

This was a fun little challenge!! I realize that I could have done this in fewer tools, but I wanted to make it flexible enough to handle different numbers of digits.

Spoiler

challenge_176.PNG

Extending to other digit counts: 

I added a workflow constant to try the same pattern with other digit counts...

There are no solutions for 2 digits (where digit1^2 + digit2^2 = number)

Four digits: (e.g. 1^4 + 6^4 + 3^4 + 4^4 = 1,634)
challenge_176_4.PNG

Five digits:
challenge_176_5.PNG

Six digits:
challenge_176_6.PNG

Seven digits: (at this point, with 9,000,000 possible numbers, it had a 38.5 s run time)
Example: 1^7 + 7^7 + 4^7 + 1^7 + 7^7 + 2^7 + 5^7 = 1 + 823,543 + 16,384 + 1 + 823,543 + 128 + 78,125 = 1,741,725
challenge_176_7.PNG

Asteroid

Not very efficient but it gets the job done.

Asteroid

Fun challenge! Here is my solution:

Spoiler
Capture.JPG
Asteroid

My solution..  Fun one!

Spoiler
Challenge_176_Spoiler.JPG

Good luck chaps.

Spoiler

clipboard_image_0.png
Asteroid
Not the most efficient, but got it done!
Asteroid

All,

Intermediate Challenge can mean a great deal of things as this one wasn't too bad for me.

Spoiler
I used the Left and Right Functions after using Make Rows starting at 100 and the iterating to 999 to give me the run of the numbers.
Cheers!

Matt

Capture.PNG