This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
We've recently made an accessibility improvement to the community and therefore posts without any content are no longer allowed. Please use the spoiler feature or add a short message in the message body in order to submit your weekly challenge.
Really fun challenge! I first tackled the challenge the simpler way using just three dice, but then I ended up creating an app that allows a user to enter the number of dice and number of sides per dice to dynamically find the most common score(s).
Some of my colleagues and I get together every other week to work on a Weekly Challenge (previously in a room together, but over videoconference for now!) This was the selected challenge this week, and since I had already done it (here), I went with a macro this time.
We decided to have the option of completing the challenge as given, or building a macro that would allow the user to enter the number of dice and number of sides on each die. We calculated the score = [highest side] * [2nd highest side] + [sum of remaining sides]
I experimented with a single workflow (using generate rows to create a record for all possible combinations, and then using a formula tool to calculate the face value for each die, as I did in my original solution. In this case, the iterative macro solution was significantly faster (about 1/3 of the run time).
This was super fun! I took one approach by running simulations and then another approach that created all combos and then calculated the value by multiplying all 3 values together, dividing by the minimum value and then adding back the minimum value! Kept it really nice and tidy in the solution.