Really fun challenge! I first tackled the challenge the simpler way using just three dice, but then I ended up creating an app that allows a user to enter the number of dice and number of sides per dice to dynamically find the most common score(s).
Some of my colleagues and I get together every other week to work on a Weekly Challenge (previously in a room together, but over videoconference for now!) This was the selected challenge this week, and since I had already done it (here), I went with a macro this time.
We decided to have the option of completing the challenge as given, or building a macro that would allow the user to enter the number of dice and number of sides on each die. We calculated the score = [highest side] * [2nd highest side] + [sum of remaining sides]
I experimented with a single workflow (using generate rows to create a record for all possible combinations, and then using a formula tool to calculate the face value for each die, as I did in my original solution. In this case, the iterative macro solution was significantly faster (about 1/3 of the run time).
This was super fun! I took one approach by running simulations and then another approach that created all combos and then calculated the value by multiplying all 3 values together, dividing by the minimum value and then adding back the minimum value! Kept it really nice and tidy in the solution.