Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #11: Identify Logical Groups

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Here is this week’s challenge, I would like to thank everyone for playing along and for your feedback. The link to the solution for last challenge #10 is HERE

The use case:

A manufacturing company receives customer complaint data on a daily basis from their call centers about the medical parts they distribute to their customers. The company monitors these comments to understand which parts and part groups have the highest complaint rate. This helps the company prioritize which parts to focus on from a development standpoint.

In this exercise, take the customer complaint data and identify which bucket the complaint falls within. The complaint can fall into multiple buckets and needs to be flagged as these complaints take highest priority. Create an aggregate view of which buckets or bucket pairings have the highest # of complaints.

This is only a subset of data so all records will not be assigned to buckets and can be ignored.

Update: As of 9/26/19, this challenge start file and solution were modified.  Your solution will not match those posted by other Community members prior to this date. 

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This article has been updated with 2 different solutions.

Tara McCoy
alex
11 - Bolide

I love comparing all these solutions and learning more about how to utilize different tools.  I'd like to see an explanation on what the search macro is doing.  I've attached a screen shot of my workflow in the spoiler window.  It works great if you know how many words you are looking for.  On my machine, it finished in under 3 seconds as compared to 10 secs for solution 1 and 12 secs for solution 2.  Man Happy

Spoiler

In looking at the Solution 1, I learned that I could've eliminated the sort and multi-row tool I used and used the concatenation option in the first summarize tool.  I tested that approach on my workflow and it also worked and took the same amount of time.  I found the tricky part to be how to introduce the search items if you don't know how many you will have.  I also included a test to ensure each complaint ticket only had one row of data to be on the safe side.  I'm happy to send a packaged workflow to anyone who wants it.

Week 11 Solution image.PNG

Martin_Bosak
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I have also tried to do this faster. I used full cross join and then just filter items which contain search.

And it runs very quickly.

Spoiler
Weekly - 11.png

markp201
8 - Asteroid

Playing catch up here with the weekly challenges.  Similar solution to Martin's.

Spoiler
Capture.JPG
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

similar solution to the 2 provided - differences in approach in the spoiler below

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I am pleased with my results 🙂

Cheers,

Mark

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution, similar to others.

Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

I wasted a lot of time on this weeks challenge trying to figure out how to parse the complaint field. In the end, I gave up and found a solution that didn't involve parsing the text.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora