Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #1: Join to Range

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Don't know why I didn't start this sooner!

I parsed the ranges differently, but otherwise my solution follows the pattern of the example solution.

Glad I learned about the generate rows tool.

mark-spain
7 - Meteor

Nice challenge, find my solution below.

Spoiler

I used the Tile tool to create 5 manual buckets and then a Formula tool to prefix the letter "R" to the generated [Tile_Num] field. I then joined the two tables on this newly created "Region" field and the pre-existing "Region" field in the other dataset and used a Summarize tool to get the required results.

Challenge 1 - Solution.PNG
Challenge 1 - Results Window.PNG

nickjastrzebski
8 - Asteroid

One down, many to go...

Spoiler
image.png
dengel988
5 - Atom

Success on my first! One good way to do this. 

Awesomeville
7 - Meteor

Solution for Challenge #1 as per attached.

Shifty
12 - Quasar

My first intermediate and I think my solution is pretty long-winded!

Spoiler
Text to columns to split the range, rename the new columns to make it easier, count the postal codes, generate rows, use a MRF to identify which rows were errors, then filter them out, formula to create the postal code from start of the range + row number, rename the fields, join with the customer data (after adding a tally column), and sum to result.
Challenge 1 Flow.jpg

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

My first instinct was that we really need a tool that can handle flexible join conditions other than A=B.  Then I decided to use the Append function to essentially do a cross product between the range data and the customer file.  I was able to get this to work, but after reading some of the posts I realized this approach was very limited and would not scale well if we had a large set of regions.  My final approach used generate rows and then a standard join, giving a much more scalable approach.

Ziggy77
7 - Meteor

pfredin
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Here is my solution.

Regards,

Patrick Fredin

Spoiler
challenge_1_solution_PF_Workflow.jpgchallenge_1_solution_PF_Data.jpg

yrs
5 - Atom

First time using the Generate Rows function!

It was a good introduction to the tool :)