Check out the Inspire breakout session catalog! From inspiring stories about business transformation to analytics best practices, our breakout sessions have something for everyone.  

Inspire | Buzz

Ask questions, connect with other conference attendees, and share your experience.
SOLUCIONADO

MarqueeCrew's Guide to Sydney Slang

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Figure it out for yourself!

Inspire APAC will be here in just “ + DateTimeDiff(DateTimeNow(),”2019-03-20”, 'Days') + “ days!

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 9.31.11 PM.png

It’s time to get ready for my trip down under (my trip to Australia) and while I know that French is entirely Greek to me, my English is far from bonzer[1].  In fact, I’ve not been bludger[2], in fact quite the contrary.  I’ve been busier than a blue-arsed fly[3].  My passport and visa in hand, I’m ready to start packing.  I’ll need some help deciding what to bring with me on my trip.  Here are a few choices to make.  Which of the following do you think that I should bring for a beach outing and which should I leave behind?

1. Budgie Smugglers[4]
  2. Cossie[5]
  3. Doona[6]
  4. Sunnies[7]
  5. Togs[8]

Flying from Kalamazoo (Yes!  There really is a Kalamazoo.), Michigan to Sydney, Australia is more than just a little billabong[9] jump.  My trip will take more than 30 hours and I’ll be taking 3 flights.  Thankfully, there is the Admiral’s club to look forward to as well as free drinks on the flight.  I’ll have to pace myself so that I don’t land pissed as a newt[10] or worse (e.g. blind[11]).  When the flight attendant comes by I don’t want to appear like a bogan[12], which of the following do you think that I should order?

1. Amber nectar[13]
  2. Banana benders[14]
  3. Chardy[15]
  4. Goon[16]
  5. Maccas[17]

With the time change, the first session will come like a sparrow’s fart[18].  I’ll slip slop slap[19] and be on my way.  Hopefully, I’ll have time for a tim tam slam[20] before I head off to the venue.   I’m sure that the event will be bonzer[21] and likely this Inspire to be cool bananas[22].  Every Inspire has been fair dinkum[23].

I’ve gone this far without any reference to “Outback” and I certainly haven’t asked anyone to “Throw another shrimp on the barbie”.  Before I go too far, I should hit the frog and toad[24].  Many thanks to @jphillips , @adrianloong  and @VizChic  for convincing me to attend this first "Inspire On Tour" event in APAC.

Cheers,

Mark

Saqueador

[1] Bonzer – excellent, first rate

[2] Bludger – lazy

[3] Busier than a blue-arsed fly – extremely busy

[4] Budgie Smugglers – Speedos

[5] Cossie – swimming costume

[6] Doona – duvet/quilt cover

[7] Sunnies – sunglasses

[8] Togs – swimming costume

[9] Billabong – a lake or pond

[10] Pissed as a newt – very drunk

[11] Blind - blackout drunk

[12] Bogan – a redneck or rude/socially unacceptable person (a chav in the UK)

[13] Amber Nectar – beer

[14] Banana Benders – Queenslanders

[15] Chardy – chardonnay

[16] Goon – cheap wine

[17] Maccas – McDonalds

[18] Sparrow’s Fart – very early in the morning

[19] Slip Slop Slap – Slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen, slap on a hat

[20] Tim Tam Slam – bite off 2 diagonal corners from a Tim Tam, then dunk it in a hot beverage for about 10 seconds (until just before it falls apart) and then eat it

[21] Bonzer – excellent, first rate

[22] Cool bananas – amazing

[23] Fair dinkum – unquestionably good or genuine 

[24] Hit the Frog and Toad - you hit the road

https://www.sydneyconcierge.com.au/australian-slang-dictionary/

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/australian-slang-phrases/index.html

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
8 RESPOSTAS 8
tessaenns
Cometa

Hahaha, this is auuussom! Given I do not speak the Aussie language, I say everything on your list looks good to me, bring it all and order it all! But don't forget you boardies and booger! Have fun!

cmcclellan
Pulsar

You've missed the key component of a Tim Tam Slam - bit off the corners (or if you're really game the entire ends) and use it like a straw in your hot beverage of choice ... then eat what's left before it collapses completely.

Pics @ https://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Tim-Tam-Slam

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@cmcclellan,

That is a great pointer!  What's even better about your advice was that @tessaenns helped to proof my post and was asking for more Tim Tam information.  I ignored her edit advice and even commented to @TuvyL about it.  While I knew that I would benefit from the counsel of many, I should have gone beyond listening and acted.  Thank you for adding a valuable contribution to my post.

Cheers,

Mark

TuvyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@MarqueeCrew, you should get some Tim Tams and we can have a Tim Tam Slam competition in Nashville! :P

Tuvy Le
Manager, Community ACE Program
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@TuvyL ,

Or you should come to Sydney and we can have a community event there with the real experts!

Cheers,

Mark

cmcclellan
Pulsar

@TuvyL wrote:

@MarqueeCrew, you should get some Tim Tams and we can have a Tim Tam Slam competition in Nashville! :P

I was going to post that :)   

Tim Tam Slams have been an Aussie tradition for decades, but Arnott's (the manufacturer) have started promoting it recently as well : https://www.arnotts.com/news/new-tim-tam-slams-see-what-everyones-talking-about/

Maybe we need a breakout session @ Inspire Nashville for some slamming ?  ;)  

VizChic
Bólide

Gidday Mate!

We're looking forward to hosting you Down Under!  Looks like you're culturally prepared for the trip, give us a shout if you need a hand with anything!

See you in a month or so!

Fi

adrianloong
Bólide

Count me in for the Tim tam slam in Nashville