Right now, the power to solve new global challenges across industries, is at your fingertips, no matter where you're working from. Create a new topic or reply to an existing thread to share your perspective.

Industry Discussions

Share resources, connect with others, and discuss industry-specific challenges.
SOLVED

SQL query in Alteryx work flows

Ramyasri_1997
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am new to Alteryx. just exploring the amazing features it has. The main reason I started using Alteryx is to automate the regular tasks. Here I have the file attached with the out put file as well in 1 & 2. in regular basis I use SQL to retrieve the data from DB  using joins and where syntax. 

EX 

select column1,column2,column3 from table1 where column1 = 'data' and column2 between oct1 to oct3.

select a.column1,a.column2,a.column3,b.Column1,b.column2,b.column3 from table1 join

table2 on a.column1 = b.column1

where a.column1between jan1 and march31

and a.column2 = Alteryx.

these are the common queries I use in regular basis on larger files and upto 15 times for various scenarios. 

here I would like to automate this process in Alteryx , if possible please assist. your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Ramyasri_1997 

In your attached dataset there is only 1 tab, so I can't give a full example. However, from what you have described this is all possible to do within Alteryx and automate.

This guide here provides an overview of how you can translate SQL functions into Alteryx - https://www.alteryx.com/resources/product-guides/alteryx-sql

Hope this helps.

Will

Ramyasri_1997
7 - Meteor

Awesome Thanks a lot for your time. Just an add on question. please. Thanks in advance. This helps in a lot 

In sql I validate the data from an excel file with the DB.

EX: select name, address, dateof_activity, last payment date, Reference_number 

from Table1 

where reference number in ('12345','2345','3456',4567,'7890','0987','8976','4321')

and dateof_activity between 'jan12022' and  '31jan2022';

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Ramyasri_1997 

In this scenario, you can either look to replicate that functionality directly with the Alteryx Tools, which the above guide can help with. Most likely along the lines of filtering data across the different tables you've mentioned.

Alternatively, if you're connecting directly to a DB, you can add in your SQL query at the input stage. This Help page provides a bit more context - https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/choose-table-or-specify-query-window

Thanks,

Will