General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Friday Fun: Share Your Best Advice

shannonem
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Alteryx Community Friends-

My name is Shannon Emery and I am the Community Recognition Program Manager aka the ACE Program Manager. While I do focus on the ACEs, I wanted to get more involved with the rest of the community so here I am with a Friday Fun post! I hope you all do not mind. 😊

This week - let's talk best advice you would share but a story first...

I was scrolling through the news and my social channels this morning when I realized my jaw was already clenched. The news was filled with sad things and my social channels felt tense. The world can be dark but as it often happens, my Grandmother's voice entered my head with her words:

"Life is hard. Life is short. But girl, life is sweet. Remember to look for the sweetness, it's there. I promise."

I remember the first time she said it, she had both of her little wrinkled brown hands wrapped around one of mine as she said it her gently accented voice. After remembering that, I decided to look for the sweetness. A sage piece of advice from a woman who has overcome more than I could possibly imagine - look for the sweetness. That's my advice to you, if you care to take it with you, look for the sweetness.

Now I invite you to share your advice and hopefully learn from others. What would you share? It can be personal advice, career advice, silly advice, whatever it may be because you never know who you are helping along the way.

Now off to go look for the sweetness, happy Friday community friends! 

Shannon Emery, she/her
12 REPLIES 12
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I wholeheartedly agree with @DataNath's sentiment about making change, I have been in a similar career situation. One thing I'd like to add would be in my experience the best motivation comes from the people around you. Motivation or lack of it is contagious, I would always take a motivated team to work with over a snazzier title.

Also I don't have a dog but I think the analogy works with the cat litter tray @LeahK 😆

Adrian_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

Having recently made a career change, I couldn’t agree more with @DataNath and @IraWatt.

Sharing one of the best quotes I’ve come across, which interestingly came from a tour guide. In the context of the frequently wet and gloomy Copenhagen weather, he said - “Summer is just a state of the mind.”

Our achievements and challenges are a byproduct of our perspectives. Sometimes looking at a situation from another angle might make our world a much better place to live in!

shannonem
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I love that @Adrian_T - I try to do the same thing, look at things from a different perspective and it can tell me what to do next. 

"Summer is just a state of mind" is going to be something I remind myself as I move forward as well. 

Shannon Emery, she/her
Labels