Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I use the 'Run Command' tool fror unzipping a file?

aroos
7 - Meteor

Hi there.

I have a problem and I hope there is someone out there that might help out.

I am trying to unzip a file and put the unzipped file in a particular directory. I am using 7-zip in windows and I have been succesful in using this command by using the Windows command line tool (cmd.exe).

"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" e "-oC:\Temp\Outputdir" "C:\Temp\myzipfile.zip"

Outputdir is the name of the outputdirectory and myzipfile.zip is of course the zip-file in question.

I have tried many different combinations but haven't been able to unzip the file using the 'Run Command'-tool. Below is a picture of one of many versions I have tried.

2017-03-20 18_02_13-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow3_.png

I would very much appreciate if someone knows how to do this and could publish a solution to this problem. If possible I just wnat to use the 'Run Command'-tool and only use the configuration options that comes with it.

Thanks,

Andrée

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@aroos I'm attaching a working example, but i think the only thing that would need to change on your picture is you would need to either have some output or some input. I've setup my example where I attached a text input and write it to a dummy temp file:

Capture.PNG

Alternatively, you could have the run command tool read in a dummy file. Note that it could also presumably be used to read in the files that you're unzipping.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Have you tried using an INPUT tool to read the zipped file and then using an OUTPUT tool to write to the desired directory?

Just saying....

m

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
aroos
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the reply.

I assumed there was a way to do this by only using the Command and Command Arguments input since all other inputs were marked as optional, though this doesn't seem to be the case.

I will use your suggestion henceforth.

aroos
7 - Meteor

@MarqueeCrew

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know there was a zip-option to the input tool, which is great. It doesn't seem to be enough in my particular case since i need to do some file processing that is quite dynamic and I think I need the Run Command tool in conjunction with the Directory Tool to accomplish this task.

Labels