Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Unable to Write to Excel files on Server

sagar_agarwal
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

On our Alteryx Server, I am trying to read from and write to the same excel file. I am using a Block Until Done tool so as to ensure the reading is completed before I attempt to write it.

When I run it using the Alteryx Designer present on the Server, it runs fine. But when I run it from the Gallery, it gives me "Access Denied - Unable to read or write to file error". Can someone please help me in this?

Scheduler Workflow - Copy.PNGScheduler Workflow Gallery - Copy.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
andre347
10 - Fireball

Is that file location approachable by the Alteryx Server? E.g a shared drive?

You would also want to make your file path a UNC path - this means you are not using your mapped drive (D:). You can do that under Option - Advanced Options - Workflow Dependencies and set the output to UNC.

sagar_agarwal
8 - Asteroid

Hi @andre347

The drive exists on the server itself. I built the workflow using the Designer present on the Server, and published it from there only. I followed the steps you mentioned regarding the UNC path, but I am not sure if I have made the correct settings. Here is the snapshot below - want to know if its correct.

Scheduler Workflow Dependencies.PNG

andre347
10 - Fireball

It looks like your files are still embedded into your workflow - this is indicated by the 'external' bit in the file path. Have you saved the file as a packaged workflow previously? This causes the issue that you can't write to the files from Server because that file path is not on the server. You should change the file path to somewhere the server can talk to. You also want to click on 'UNC All' to make sure you're not mapping to the D drive.

andre347
10 - Fireball

Any updates on this one? Have you resolved it or do you need more help?