Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Server workflow runner identification

KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Hi

Does anyone know how to identify the runner of a WF as part of the WF process? We want to have a WF read the runners name and include that in a dynamic file name output.

I found a simple solution using the [Engine.TempFilePath] field but this only works when the WF is run in Designer. We need to identify the runner when the WF is run on Server as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

6 REPLIES 6
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

When you say "WF run on the Server", do you mean the user is running an app in the Gallery and you want to capture the user's identity?

KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Hi, yes that is correct. Not to worry though this has now been answered for us by our local provider, using the "__cloud:userID" script.

Thanks.

Kevin

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Yep, that's what I was going suggest :)

jdmarriott
5 - Atom

I feel as though I am missing something.

I have read every post I could find regarding __cloud:UserId. I have downloaded multiple example workflows (including ones posted by you mbarone) and tried running those. I have tried creating my own versions. I've tried running the WF in the Designer as well as from the gallery. I've made sure the __cloud:UserId is the name in the Annotation setting. I've made sure the dummy column in the formula is a string type. I've made sure the @expression was highlighted in the Action tool, and I've tried that with both replace a specific string selected and not selected. When selected I've tried it with both the quotes included and not included. Every time I get either a NULL return, or a blank return.

I am not sure what else I can try.

The Designer version I am running is 2019.2.5.62427. Running as non-elevated. Does this need to be running as elevated to work?

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Elevated vs. Non shouldn't be an issue.  Can you mock up a workflow and attach it to this thread, or post a bunch of screen shots?  That might help trouble shoot.

DanH

Note that this option does not work in directly in Designer; the value is only supplied by Gallery as rendered in a browser. You will get empty or null value just running locally in Designer. 

Here's how I have my App set up:

ExampleAppSetup.png