Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Server workflow runner identification

KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Hi

Does anyone know how to identify the runner of a WF as part of the WF process? We want to have a WF read the runners name and include that in a dynamic file name output.

I found a simple solution using the [Engine.TempFilePath] field but this only works when the WF is run in Designer. We need to identify the runner when the WF is run on Server as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

6 REPLIES 6
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

When you say "WF run on the Server", do you mean the user is running an app in the Gallery and you want to capture the user's identity?

KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Hi, yes that is correct. Not to worry though this has now been answered for us by our local provider, using the "__cloud:userID" script.

Thanks.

Kevin

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Yep, that's what I was going suggest :)

jdmarriott
5 - Atom

I feel as though I am missing something.

I have read every post I could find regarding __cloud:UserId. I have downloaded multiple example workflows (including ones posted by you mbarone) and tried running those. I have tried creating my own versions. I've tried running the WF in the Designer as well as from the gallery. I've made sure the __cloud:UserId is the name in the Annotation setting. I've made sure the dummy column in the formula is a string type. I've made sure the @expression was highlighted in the Action tool, and I've tried that with both replace a specific string selected and not selected. When selected I've tried it with both the quotes included and not included. Every time I get either a NULL return, or a blank return.

I am not sure what else I can try.

The Designer version I am running is 2019.2.5.62427. Running as non-elevated. Does this need to be running as elevated to work?

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Elevated vs. Non shouldn't be an issue.  Can you mock up a workflow and attach it to this thread, or post a bunch of screen shots?  That might help trouble shoot.

DanH

Note that this option does not work in directly in Designer; the value is only supplied by Gallery as rendered in a browser. You will get empty or null value just running locally in Designer. 

Here's how I have my App set up:

ExampleAppSetup.png