Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

How can I open a workflow saved to the Scheduler DB in a Designer + Scheduler environment?

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

I am working with a customer who has Designer + Desktop Scheduler with the scheduler running locally on the same computer as Designer. A workflow has been scheduled with Run Location as "Copy saved to Scheduler DB" and I would like to open the YXMD to view it in Designer.

copy saved in scheduler db.png

I am probably missing something obvious but how can I open the workflow? I can't find any information online on where the "Scheduler DB" actually lives within this type of setup, System Settings doesn't give me any clues, and searching through ProgramFiles/Alteryx gives no sign of my workflow.

setup type.png

15 REPLIES 15
lminors
9 - Comet

Hi @jamielaird,

I am lead to believe the SQLite is stored somewhere like:

C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\Persistence\

Have you tried looking in there?

The information here may also help you:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Query-Scheduler-Database-from-Alteryx...

Hope this helps.

Luke

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Great question.  I do not know the answer, but I will follow this thread to see if someone does.  For me, I have Scheduler installed on my Server, as a Mongo instance.  I searched my entire "\ProgramData\Alteryx" directory and found none of the YXMDs I put on Scheduler.  I've always been under the assumption that you would need to go to the original module, update it, and save it back to Scheduler as a new schedule, and then delete the prior one.

But it makes sense that you should be able to grab it from somewhere in scheduler.  The only thing I can think of is that Mongo picks apart the XML and stores it as Mongo objects.  Still, I can't find the module by name either if I search our Mongo directory.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say.  The parser and mongo inputs don't seem to tell you the location of the scheduled modules saved in database.

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Thanks @mbarone.

@patrick_digan has published a workflow here that allows you to search the MongoDB for a particular YXMD when working in a Server environment, and if the file has indeed been pushed to the SQLite DB on the same machine as the Designer (as suggesed by @lminors) then perhaps a similar approach would work.

It feels like a bit of a hacky way to get hold of the workflow, so I thought there must be an easier way. The workflow was uploaded several months ago and has been happily running every day, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a way to access it without digging into the database.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Oh - and yes, Patrick's idea does in fact grab the workflow, but it appears to grab the XML and save it off as a new workflow.  I was hoping to see if anyone has found where you can link directly to the scheduled workflow itself, something like open "C:\folder\folder\folder\folder\shced_workflow_1.yxmd", make your changes, click save, and that's it because it actually opened the physical workflow that's sitting on the server, so when you save your changes, it's being made to the source workflow that the scheduler runs.

lminors
9 - Comet

@jamielaird I would guess that the XML is saved somewhere in that Persistence folder. Let me know if you have a dig around and find anything.

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

I think the XML will be somewhere within the actual SQLite database itself so it'll require connecting to that and then hunting through. Meh!

sqlite.png

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

*Sherlock Holmes voice*

It would seem unlikely to be a coincidence that the date modified on the /AS_Applications folder exactly matches the date on which the workflow was originally scheduled.

giphy (1).gif

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Yes, I found our mongo objects for them.  I would not want to mess with modifying the raw mongo files, that's for sure.  Would be safer to just modify the module wherever it's stored (shared drive or wherever), and re-schedule it, then delete the original schedule.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

If I use Robo 3T to look inside the Mongo, I can see my schedule.  Looks to me that instead of XML it's saved as a blob.  So yea, I won't be messing with that LOL.  
99.jpg