Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Gallery down for everyone or just us?

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community!

My company has had issues with gallery going down daily for the past two weeks.  

Gina2021_1-1633449650721.png

Sometimes it will look like it's working, but when I click on collections (we have many), it just spins.

Gina2021_0-1633449509295.png

IT dispelled the only two fixes I've found on the community....

1. Has a network scanner software been installed on the Alteryx server in the last two weeks?

2. Do we have enough hard drive space? How often are temp folders deleted?

"Network scanner is not installed back on the server. There is ample space available in the drive and Temp folder is also 128MB free. The issue RCA (root cause analysis) is still unknown."

Gina2021_2-1633449734778.png

We use SQLite.

Gina2021_3-1633449871648.png

Is this happening for all companies? 

Does anyone have any fix brainstorms?

Thanks so much!

Gina

9 REPLIES 9
No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

If you are utilizing the Gallery, you really want to be using MongoDB as your Persistence layer. SQLite is suited for a designer only or a server instance where only the scheduler is being used. Not sure how long you have had your server deployed, but you are going to need to change to MongoDB if you want to continue to use the Gallery. Worst case you download all your workflows that are on the gallery now, then reconfigure to MongoDB and reload the workflows again. 

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

@No-Sass  Thank you so much for this response!!!  We have at least a hundred workflows on gallery, some scheduled and some adhoc.  Do you think this setting is enough to cause the server go down?

@MarqueeCrew have you seen anything like this happen? Thank you!

Chandler_Bing
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Gina2021 

Did you upgrade ur server recently? 

Can you see the error in the gallery logs? Next time when it goes down or collections don't work as u mentioned check the latest log file

The location of the logs is usually at : \ProgramData\Alteryx\Gallery\Logs\

This log file might tell you what is causing the error, if you can post that error here you might get more help to resolve the issue

Thanks

No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

I'm not aware of the ramifications of using a SQLite database instead of MongoDB in the way that you are using it. I just know that it's recommended to not use it if you are using the Gallery and/or getting significant use from your server. 

(There's many different resources that speak to this, here is one. About halfway down the page...)      

Database Type

The controller maintains data in either SQLite or MongoDB databases. Server offers embedded SQLite or MongoDB options, as well as a User-Managed MongoDB option. If you are configuring the machine for a gallery, you must use MongoDB or User-Managed Mongo DB.

• SQLite: Creates an instance of the SQLite database. Recommended for lightweight and local deployments that use the scheduler.
  • MongoDB: Creates an instance of the MongoDB database. Recommended for heavier usage. 
  • User-Managed MongoDB: Allows you to connect to your implementation of MongoDB.

You can also try cleaning/limiting your Persistence data? Set it 30 days? Less? 

The logs will have some details to what may have caused this for you or at least steer you in a direction if this continues. 

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

@Chandler_Bing hahaha, love your handle. 

Thanks much for the hints! Looks like I don't have permissions for those folders.  I'll have to hand this back to IT.

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Thanks so much @No-Sass for the extra details!  I don't have permissions to see the logs.  IT created a support case with Alteryx today to find the root cause.  I'll post that back here when we find out.  Thanks again!

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

To expand on @No-Sass comment, using SQLite is not compatible if Gallery is enabled.

jrgo_0-1633615181651.png

It's an option that actually greyed out if the "Setup Type" include Gallery. And looking at the screenshot you shared, the Gallery section looks like there's no options to configure,

jrgo_1-1633615545035.png

It would show the below if Gallery was enabled.

jrgo_2-1633615744749.png

To me, it seems as if someone started tinkering with the Alteryx System Settings making changes that they shouldn't have. 

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Thanks much for your two-cents @jrgo !  I think you're right.  My co-worker's is set up like mine as well, but IT insisted we were on Mongo.  I think I have some conversions in my future.  However, the issue isn't user specific.

It really seems like a web-based issue.  IT keeps having to 'recycle' something every 5 min some days to get us out of an http 404 not found state.  Other times, we can see gallery, but when we click on collections, it will just spin and spin. 

IT still hasn't gotten a resolution from the ticket they opened with Alteryx. 

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@Gina2021 I have experienced in the past where certain Gallery pages fail to load or load incorrectly and its usually after Alteryx Server has been upgraded to a new version.

Problem is when the upgrade resulted in code changes to a specific page in Gallery and your browser tries to load a cache that is no longer compatible.

Clearing your browsers cache usually fixes the issue.

Worse case... contact support!

Best of luck!!

Jimmy