Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Suggestion: When I/O Failure, Tell us Which File was Being Accessed

jdtzn
5 - Atom

When this sort of an error happens:

Error - ToolId 1: FileUnbuffered: Error in GetOverlappedResult: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (1117)

It would be amazing if this message also told us which file was being accessed. (Or at a minimum, which drive was being accessed.)

We were running a flow that reads a bunch of files from one network drive and writes output to another drive. It would be so useful if the error message told us which drive was experiencing downtime to cause the alteryx exception.

2 REPLIES 2
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jdtzn 

I believe if you look at the entire result message log, you'll see other messages against "ToolId 1" that will show you which files, and location, were successfully read in. If you can identify the last one it read, you should be able determine which file it stopped at.

The issue may not be in the file being read itself. The error I believe suggests that the amount of data being read in exhausted the system resources available. See how much disk space is free within the drive your worker is configured to use as its workspace and compare that to the the overall size of all the files you're trying to read in.

juleshavens
5 - Atom

@jrgo wrote:

Hi @jdtzn friday night funkin

I believe if you look at the entire result message log, you'll see other messages against "ToolId 1" that will show you which files, and location, were successfully read in. If you can identify the last one it read, you should be able determine which file it stopped at.

The issue may not be in the file being read itself. The error I believe suggests that the amount of data being read in exhausted the system resources available. See how much disk space is free within the drive your worker is configured to use as its workspace and compare that to the the overall size of all the files you're trying to read in.

Oh! okay. that make sense