Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Alteryx Server Multi Node Environment

wsang
6 - Meteoroid

Good day!

I'm looking into Multi node Environment (1 controller node does not have a worker and 2 separate worker nodes) and have a question in mind.

1. if you are using a 4 core license does that mean you need to procure another set of license 4 core license to accommodate the 2 worker nodes?

thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @wsang 

If you build multi-node architecture, you need to purchase 'Additional Capacity Licenses(2CPU)' in addition to the main Alteryx Server license.
Each Worker nodes shall have minimum 2CPU, so in your case(2 worker nodes), you need to additionally purchase at least 2 no. of Additional Capacity Licenses(2CPU) licenses.

If you want to have more CPUs(4, 6, 8...) in each Worker nodes, the required number of licenses will be increased accordingly.

Basically, the license fee of Additional Capacity Licenses(2CPU) is much less than Alteryx Server licenses, so please contact your local sales team for more detail and decide the optimized number of licenses.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @wsang ,

Totally agree with everything @gawa said.

Just to add some more information for you.

1. Not having a worker in your central controller node is only good in specific environments; most often, you will benefit from having this node acting as a worker node. The main reason to deactivate the worker would be if you have a good amount of simultaneous users accessing the Gallery and they are starting to experience UI issues like lags or 400 errors
  2. The recommended number of cores to enable the AMP Engine is 8 cores. It is possible to run with 4 cores, but I believe you would be leaving money at the table if you have 2 workers with 4 cores each instead of a massive one with 8 cores + your main server also acting as a worker.
  3. Having two workers is nice when you have teams geographically far apart that need to connect to sources in different cloud regions or if you want to separate the executions based on critical and regular, scheduled and manual or similar.
  4. IF you already have a Server and you haven`t done a Server Health Check, please request your partner or sales executive to do one for you. Maybe having one 12-core server will give you more benefits depending on the number of simultaneous users, schedules and manual runs.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@fmvizcaino described everything needed perfectly. I learned a lot from you, thank you!

1. Not having a worker in your central controller node is only good in specific environments; most often, you will benefit from having this node acting as a worker node. The main reason to deactivate the worker would be if you have a good amount of simultaneous users accessing the Gallery and they are starting to experience UI issues like lags or 400 errors

I agree with this idea. You can start with configuration having the worker nodes in central controller node. It is also advisable to set that worker node as "Unassigned Job", and set specific tags to the other distributed worker nodes. We are doing this way in our company.   

wsang
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you everyone for answering my inquiries and for also providing tips.