Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Alternative to Folder Browse in the Gallery

diegocampagner
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I need to use a directory input dynamically in a gallery flow, but there is a complication that I can't figure out how to handle.

All the users of this workflow have access to the same network, but using different folders, so I would use the Text Box to ask them to insert the full path, so I can update my directory input.

The problem is that the user is going to input in the way they copy from windows explorer (L:\Folder\etc). Then I would need to replace this "L:\" with the Network UNC path, and that's where I'm stucked.

How can I update the Text Box input and only then send the information to update the directory input?

Anyone have a workaround for this?

Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
CristianoJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @diegocampagner ,

It seems like you could use the Find Replace tool to replace just the "L:" string with "\\servername".

Here attached is a sample workflow for you.

For more information on how to use the Find Replace tool you can see the article below:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Find-Replace/ta-p/4704...

diegocampagner
5 - Atom

Hello Cristiano,

Thanks for your reply!

That's exactly what I would've done!

But, what I can't figure out is how to pass this result as argument to the Directory Input tool.

Because what I really need is to get all the files that may be inside the folder insert by the user.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks again.

CristianoJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

@diegocampagner

The directory tool does not have a connection input anchor.

You could write the output of the Find Replace into a file and then use the Run Command event to call another workflow that uses the directory tool.

This article below shows you how to use the Run Command event:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-to-run-a-workflow-from-an-event...