Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Andy Uttley, Alteryx ACE, makes music with Alteryx | Math + Music

Load multiple Excel files from specific folders

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
Hello,

I'm trying to load multiple excel files from different locations/folders into Alteryx. 
Does anyone know how to do this and can point me in the right direction?

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx
Do these files all have the same schema? If they have the same columns you can use directory tools to point at the desired folders to get the file names, union these data sets from the directory tools, use a formula tool after the union tool to update the fullpath field to be [fullpath]+”|||sheet name”, and then feed this into a dynamic input tool where it is configured to read the fullpath field and the drop down is set to change entire file path. If some files have additional columns compared to others you will need to do something similar except with a macro that is set to ignore differences in schema. Please let us know a bit more about your data to help give clarity.
Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Brandon,

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm fairly new to Alteryx so just making sense of the directory tool. My data - I want a directory tool or input tool to look at a specific folder,within that folder only certain sub folders, within these sub folders there are lots of files and I want to point to all of them (all have different names for each record) within each of these files I am looking for a specific file (name is the same in all of these). Within this folder I am looking for a Excel file which all have similar path names minus a record number at the end which is different for each record. So I guess I need a slightly different logic each time I look within a folder.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx
Your first step will be to set up a directory tool. Take a look at this link for some helpful information on how to set it up:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/Directory.htm

You can point it at a folder and pull the file names from that folder as well as all sub folders if desired. You can adjust the wildcards from *.* to whatever is desired to only pull file names that match a certain pattern.

Do you want to pull the same sheet name from each file? Sheet1 for example.
Labels