Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connecting PostgreSQL

urezwan
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to connect PostgreSQL to Alteryx. I cannot connect. Here are the two windows:

urezwan_0-1592504184924.png

urezwan_1-1592504271580.png

My pgAdmin, the Postgres studio, loads on a net browser because I do not have the icon on my desktop or other drive. I can work with the psql shell.

Any help?

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You will want to click the ODBC Admin button and create a connection with the information for your Postgres database. After doing so it will appear in the dropdown list that currently says "No ODBC DSNs Available". More information about Postgres in Alteryx can be found here: https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/postgresql

urezwan
8 - Asteroid

I did not know I would have to install ODBC connector. I did and it nos works. Thanks!

ramesh_neel
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

@BrandonB  - Picking up this old thread ! How do we create a gallery connection to PostgreSQL? Is there a way to do that?

Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | SparkED Contributor and Mentor
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Are you using a DSN - or is it a DSN less connection?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@ramesh_neel I like to use the site connectionstrings.com (not affiliated with Alteryx) as a reference for gallery connection strings. 

This page covers the structure of a PostgreSQL connection string: https://www.connectionstrings.com/postgresql-odbc-driver-psqlodbc/ 

postgresql.png

ramesh_neel
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

@apathetichell  - I was able to create a successful DSN connection on the server designer but needed a DSN less gallery connection as well.

@BrandonB  - Thanks for pointing me to the site . The syntax provided there didn't work on Alteryx but was a good starting point (Alteryx did not recognize it a connection at all ) and @CathyH from Alteryx support helped me  fix the issue by changing the format of the string to the below .

odbc:Driver={PostgreSQL};Server=IP address;Port=5432;Database=myDataBase;Uid=myUsername;Pwd=myPassword;

In our case providing the IP did not work either so had to use the actual server name .

Thank you all your for all the help!

Cheers,

Ramesh

Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | SparkED Contributor and Mentor
Labels