community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

in db error and looping

Asteroid

Two questions, I am running a wf with an indb input.  my boss changed the underlying table while my workflow was running and caused an error in my workflow.  If i had used a static input instead, could he then change the underlying, while I'm reading it and is there a scale of "this is 24gb, it will take X*Y to read it, with static input, but Y only to read it with indb input (aka how much faster does indb read a large file?)

second, how do you loop a workflow?  I have 8 wf's which are identical except for static input, ie:  the word "engine", the word "body" , etc... and I could feed those into a control loop if i knew how to.  is it possible?  thanks

becki kain

Alteryx Certified Partner

Becki, it depends a lot of :
-the kind of database you're querying (Oracle, Hive, Vertica.... have really different times of answer)

-the configuration of your computer and the one of the database server.

I'm not sure if I understand well your "loop" notion but I guess you could have a look on batch macros.

Asteroid

sorry, it's like 24 gb of sql.  is there a difference in speed of reading static input vs indb input?  I thought so but didn't try to run the workflows at the same time.  if someone changes the underlying table, with indb, does that automatically crash your wf?  is there a way of telling altyerx "take an image of this, as of right now, when I start this workflow?"

thanks on batch. i'll look at it

Alteryx Certified Partner

When you say "24 GB of sql", do you mean a table of 24 GB?

"is there a difference in speed of reading static input vs indb input?"

By in-db input, do you mean a data stream out tool? Because it depends how you set the configuration of your connexion.

I'm not sure changing the underlying table would crash a workflow. But "changing" is not very precise : update, delete, truncate, drop, overwrite, alter... what kind of change?

If you want to be sure, try to make a temporary table with the write tool.

When you ask question about in-db, please mention your base : is it Oracle? Sql Server? Teradata?... There are several possibilities and the databases don't behave the same way.

Asteroid

yes, sorry, a table, written with alteryx, indb write tool, of size 24GB, to an sql server.  and I have no idea what change he made but it crashed the two workflows I was reading the table with, with indb input.  i'm not really familiar with indb commands yet.  thanks

Labels