Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

creating and debugging macros

becki
8 - Asteroid

(hi all, my first real program and using macros).  how do people normally create and debug macros - create them as a work flow then convert them with the correct inputs later on?  what happens if you need to make a change to the underlying "meat" of the code, after putting the macro in the main workflow?  do you keep changing your original workflow and converting it to the same macro name over and over again?  or what is best practice for debugging macros inside of work flows?

thanks

becki kain

2 REPLIES 2
AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Becki,

Thanks for your question! At the highest level, here is the approach I would take:

1. Build the process in a normal workflow

2. Add interface tools to turn it into a macro (TIP: You can easily turn and Input or Text Input tool into a macro input by right-clicking and selecting 'Convert to Macro Input')

3. Debug using the Debugging in the interface designer. 

If you decide to change the macro later on, you will only need to re-insert it in the workflows where it is used if you change the input or outputs of the macro. If you change other pieces of the workflow, the workflows using the macro will automatically grab the most up-to-date version of the macro. 

Remember a macro can be thought of as a 'sub workflow'. Therefore, when you run your workflow, Alteryx will go grab the workflow for any macro within the workflow and it will run in its entirety as a workflow. 

Here are some helpful references on developing and debugging macros from the community:

Tool Mastery | Apps and Macros

CS Macro Dev: Analytical App Debug Workflow 

Live Training : Build your first Macro

Macros are so much fun and super powerful. Hope you enjoy!

becki
8 - Asteroid

i had no idea there was a debugger!  thanks

Labels