Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Writing to Tableau

aberthiaume
7 - Meteor

I am working on scheduling my Alteryx workflows so they automatically update my Tableau Dashboards.  I added the write to tableau tool (which works), but when I go to update my Tableau workbook, I get errors, because it says the file names aren't there.  I use the same workflow to write to an Excel document (which is how I used to update my Tableau files) and that still works fine.  Does anyone know if Alteryx changes file names when using the Tableau tool.  

3 REPLIES 3
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@aberthiaume when you say "update" I assume you mean when the workflow runs in Designer or are you referring to in Tableau?

aberthiaume
7 - Meteor

Thank you for asking.  I am referring to both sort of.  Basically when the worflow runs it is updating my data source in Tableau server which then I want to link to my Tableau Dashboard.  It updates the data source but when I try to add the data source in Tableau to my Tableau Dashboard the file names look like they are the same but Tableau errors saying there are missing fields... I was just wondering if anyone had every experienced the write to Tableau tool change file names.  

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@aberthiaume just a guess for a min, maybe this is down to the data types outputted to the Tableau data source and what the dashboard is expecting for the fields? Could you compare both?

Labels