Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Using Personal Access Token to publish to Tableau Server

Awesomeville
7 - Meteor

I am trying to utilize below tool to publish to Tableau Server, however, there is not much documentation as to how I am supposed to do it so I was wondering if someone could advise how best to use this tool or to even provide a sample workflow as to what should the input output be.
https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/PublishToTableauServer2-1/5f315ccd826fd309c4f75504

Right off the bat, I am also encountering this two issues (below):

- Error: PublishToTableauServer2.1 (13): Tableau Personal Access Token (PAT) REST API Authentication (334): Tool #8: expected end of tag 'META' at Line:1 and Column:140

- Error: PublishToTableauServer2.1 (13): TableauServer.UploadChunks (238): Iteration #1: Tool #11: Error transferring data: URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL

I was wondering if the site for tableau server is default, should I leave it as blank, default or home?

Do let me know how if further information is required.

Best,

Nick

2 REPLIES 2
Drussek
9 - Comet

Hi @Awesomeville 

I'm using PublishToTableauServer in version 2-0, so maybe sth has changed in 2-1.

You can check how this macro authorizes with TS. I have such payload:

Drussek_0-1629805743678.png

According to TS API documentation authorization with token should look like this:

{"credentials": {"personalAccessTokenName""MYTOKEN""personalAccessTokenSecret""XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX""site": {"contentUrl""SITEID"}}}

So in 2-0 you cannot use token to authorize.

You also asked about default site:
Drussek_1-1629805889696.png

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Awesomeville , are you using On-Prem Tableau server or Cloud? Since you're asking about "default" site, I'd presume you have On-Prem, is that correct?

If you're using Cloud, you might want to try a new connector Tableau Output that can be found in Gallery. It brings plenty new features including PAC out of the box, so no code changes are required. A new version supporting On-Prem is expected in 2 months. 

Vojta T., PM for Data Connectors
Try our Beta data connectors at https://bit.ly/3Ae8HgY
Labels