Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transpose sets of multiple columns into rows?

pythorlh
6 - Meteoroid

I have data that is poorly normalized.

Something like this:

student IDClassScoreGradeClass2Score2Grade2Class3Score3Grade3
1History95AEnglish65D-Science85B
2Science90A-Math80C-   

And in the end I want this:

Student IDClassScoreGrade
1History95A
1English65D-
1Science85B
2Science90A-
2Math80C-

I'm trying Transpose, then trimming the numbers off the name column, but I don't know how to bring the 3 records back together correctly.  I'd rather not do it manually, because there are actually 121 of each field (Class, Score, Grade).

3 REPLIES 3
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @pythorlh I have mocked up a workflow that produces you output. It uses a regex tool to replace the numbers in your column names. Then I use a Multirow tool to create a rank per student ID for each class they attend, which when you use a crosstab tool produces a row per class for each student ID.

Transpose_140819.PNG

Garrett
11 - Bolide

I think you can probably get this done with a single "Arrange" tool (perhaps followed by a "Filter" tool to get rid of any nulls):

Arrange Tool.PNG

pythorlh
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, I was able to get this to work.

One note for anyone reading this, make sure if you have any Select tools in your workflow before the Multi-Row Formula Tool that they don't alter the sort of the incoming fields.  I was having trouble until I realized this was happening.

Labels