Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Strange behaviour with negative numbers rendering to Excel

Carluccio555
9 - Comet

When rendering to excel I get 'number formatted as text' errors for some negative numbers see below:

Carluccio555_0-1669574111637.png

The -92,477 is not detected as an error but the other numbers are.

When I look in the Excel cell for the -92,477 i see -92476.8

When I look in the Excel cell for the -92,846 i see -92,846

Notice how the cell that errors out contains a comma and is rounded, this is the same for the other numbers resulting in number as text errors.

Further info, I had thought rounding was the issue, prior to this the numbers had up to 8 decimal places, and when that was the case only the -100,279 was erroring. 

I added 0.01 rounding to the formulas that produce these values and now even more (but not all) negative numbers are erroring this way.

Any ideas? 

2 REPLIES 2
TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

Alteryx sees 1,000 or (100) as a string.  Put a select tool before the output to see what data type is assigned to the fields you think are numbers.  The Type field will show if the value is a string or number format.  If string, strip out the non-numeric characters - the commas and the parentheses. You can use Regex tool or a formula.  My attached example nests the replace function.

TimN_0-1669585596019.png

Carluccio555
9 - Comet

They are numbers because they are a result of a calculation formula which I have set as Double data type. 

The issue is with the render treating similar numbers inconsistently when they are output as I explained.

Labels