Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Sending email from Alteryx

praneshsapmm
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have this requirement of sending email from Alteryx to the users . 

Below are the different sheets written as output by Alteryx . 

How can i make alteryx to send email once all the sheets are written .

Thanks.

praneshsapmm_0-1617701771497.png

4 REPLIES 4
Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Hi Praneshsapmm,

Just use the "Email" tool and use a text input as input for the e-mail tool.

Don't worry about the Excel's being ready, the e-mail tool will always be the last tool to run in a workflow and therefore you can be sure that all Excel's will be finalized before any mail is send(see:  Email Tool (alteryx.com)).

Greetings,

Sebastiaan

danishimam
7 - Meteor

Thanks @Sebastiaandb 

I have a similar requirement, but I need to send the file as attachment in email. For this i need to know where Alteryx is writing the file (usually it writes to temp location, everytime different) , so the question is how to get that filename dynamically and how to pass that as input to email tool ?

Thank you

Danish

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Hi @danishimam,

That seems like a challenging problem. I've found a topic that might be useful:

Solved: Sending email with attachments generated by Output... - Alteryx Community

They're referring to the [Engine.TempFilePath] directory. I tried to simulate your problem as in my temp folder Alteryx creates a new subdirectory for every unique flow that uses the temp directory, making it harder to just use the "temp directory". I tried some combinations with the use of % for the filepath but unfortunately, not with success. 

I believe that, once you get the files via the data input tool (were you can more easily test if you can get the files from the temp directory), you can also use that same path for the email tool attachements to work :-).

Good luck and sorry that i couldn't fix your problem!

Seb

danishimam
7 - Meteor

Thank you @Sebastiaandb 

I tried below step and for now it is working.

Created output file with filename to "%temp%\TestFile.xlsx|||Sheet1"

And use the same path in email attachments parameter "%temp%\TestFile.xlsx" and alteryx is picking the same file after the file was created by output data tool.

For now my purpose is solved, thank you.

Danish

Labels