Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run Command Tool Returns Ambiguous Error

danilodrobac
7 - Meteor

Hi all

I'm attempting to use the run command tool to run a .bat file which will rename (move) multiple files on my FTP server. I've got to where I am by using the methodology explained in this article, but obviously with a different final product, and I'm getting an error returned saying:

Run Command (16)	The external program "./BatchFtp.bat" returned an error code: 2

I'm using Alteryx to download a list of FTP files that exist on my server, and once that's done (using the "Block Until Done" tool), move those files to the archive directory. Based on the same list of files that I download, I use Alteryx to create a file called ftpscript.txt, which compiles all of the code I need into a txt file, which I then use my as an argument in my .bat file.

BatchFtp.txt is:

ftp -s:ftpscript.txt

ftpscript.txt is:

open ftp.globalanalytics.16mb.com
user
password
rename "/Folder/file1.csv" "/Archive/file1.csv"
rename "/Folder/file2.csv" "/Archive/file2.csv"
rename "/Folder/file3.csv" "/Archive/file3.csv"
rename "/Folder/file4.csv" "/Archive/file4.csv"
disconnect
quit

Using my command prompt, I've tested the process by running the BatchFtp.bat file, and it successfully runs the script and moves the files on the FTP server, but for some reason, when I try to replicate this in Alteryx I get an error.

My "Run Command" tools is set up as follows, where I've just created a random temporary file as the output for "Write Source" just because there has to be something in there, and put the bat file in the command field.

Run Command Tool Setup

I can't come up with any logical reason why this isn't working. I'm hoping it's something really obvious regarding the tool itself which I seem to have missed.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

11 REPLIES 11
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Have you tried running the same workflow "locally" on the Windows computer? Maybe with administrative privileges?

Maybe you can trace permissions over the temporary directories of the Windows machine?

danilodrobac
7 - Meteor

Tested by saving on my desktop and it works.

Worked out what the problem was.

I have shortcut folders in my personal network directory which direct me to other directories on the network, which is where the workflows are saved. I mapped the network drive to my Z drive on my machine and re-opened the workflow from that location instead, so the file path is no longer \\server\folder it's now Z:\ and that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for all your help!

Labels