Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish to Tableau Tool totally replaced by PAT macro?

aveloudi
7 - Meteor

Hi Community,

I am curious if any of you have come across this macro:

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Tableau-Personal-Access-Token--PAT--REST-API-Authentication/5de6a7...

which is supposed to help users access Tableau using Personal Access Token instead of username/ password. 

I just can't understand if this macro is to totally replace Publish-to-Tableau tool, or complement it? What should come after the macro?

I usually work with the Publish-to-Tableau tool, but recently it caused me some trouble and it is giving 'error signing in'. 

So I am trying to find a way to publish my data in my existing Data Source in Tableau, but using this macro instead.

aveloudi_0-1611151419115.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @aveloudi 

I've been using it for some customers that need to use only PAT to publish to Tableau Server.

You still may need to "patch" the response from Tableau Server (in the Filter Tool 257).

But this macro is not supported by Alteryx, So unless you are forced to use PAT, I'd recommend keep using the Publish to Tableau Server "official" macro. 

aveloudi
7 - Meteor

Hello @Aguisande,

Could you please rephrase: 

"You still may need to "patch" the response from Tableau Server (in the Filter Tool 257)."

In your case, are you using both the PAT macro for your clients and the Publish-to-Tableau tool?

Thank you!!

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey,

If you mean why you should patch it, actually is because Tableau changed the way that the API responds.

Within the macro, Tool 257 (a Filter Tool), handles that message received by Tableau Server, that used to be "HTTP/1.1 201 Created" and they removed the "Created" part of the response.

aguisande_0-1611234045185.png

And I use PAT macro ONLY when normal user/password access to publish is not available, otherwise, I use the standard Publish to tableau Server macro.

I hope this helps.

Best

aveloudi
7 - Meteor

hm.. I wonder if we are talking about different macros. The PAT macro I am referring to, looks like this, not filter tool.

aveloudi_0-1611235876577.png

And it is not asking for the Project Name or the Data Source name, if we want to overwrite or append? Where do you insert that information for your client? I which tool?

Thank you for your replies, appreciate your time!

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Maybe,

I'm using this one: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/PublishToTableauServer2-1/5f315ccd826fd309c4f75504

Created by Daniel Nguyen, that handles the whole process for you.

aguisande_0-1611237207259.png

For what I see in your screenshot, that workflow is handling only the Authentication against Tableau Server.

aveloudi
7 - Meteor

I will download! Thanks!!

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

AnyTime!

Labels