Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx is here to help you solve your biggest data challenges. Read about the new Virtual Solution Center here.

Output to existing Excel file as a new sheet after each run (dynamically named)

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hello

My company has a system from which I can run reports at any given time.  The data is raw and not easy to visualize so I am using Alteryx to automate the formatting.  It's a report I may run several times a day and I want to keep all of the previous reports, preferably in a new worksheet in the same Excel file rather than a new Excel file each time.  I would like the worksheets to show some kind of identifier like a date/time stamp.

For example, the first time I run the macro, it would generate "REPORT.xlsx" with one worksheet called "2018-12-16 2048" (say for 10:48 PM).  The second time I run the macro using more current data from my company's system, it will add a new worksheet in the same Excel file "REPORT.xlsx", called "2018-12-17 0930" (say for 9:30 AM).

I'm very new to this so I don't even know if it's possible, but did a lot of searching online and couldn't find anything so far.

Thanks!

6 - Meteoroid

Is the date and timestamp captured in any field/column?

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi. Do you mean is there a date/time stamp in the original source report from my company's system?  Yes there is.  I think I'm able to extract data in the workflow - what would be the next step?  Thanks!

Highlighted
14 - Magnetar

If I understand your requirement correctly, I would just create a new field with a formula tool like [fullpath] with a formula like this:

'c:\users\davidp\desktop\Report.xlsx|||' + tostring(datetimenow())

Change the path to wherever you want Report.xlsx written.

Then  use the Output Data tool and set 'Take filename from field' [fullpath] and uncheck 'filename in output'

Set the option to 'create new sheet'

This will create a unique new sheet with the current datetime every time you run the workflow.

Labels