community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE
Alteryx Gallery is experiencing a problem in which system emails are not being sent out. As a result, if you are attempting to sign up for a new account, you may be unable to verify your email address. We are working to solve this as soon as possible and will remove this notice once resolved.

Output to Tab - No Data from JOIN

Asteroid

I have a join tool in my workflow and I am writing to 3 different tabs on an Excel document with the content of the R, L and J join results.  it is supposed to replace the tab that already exists on a file. 

I am running into issues when one of the 3 join types has no results - and as a result, the tab is not overwritten so instead of that tab being blank it is staying with whatever data was in there from before. 

Is there a way to force that tab to be "overwritten" with no results if one of the join types is blank?  can you essentially force an output with just the header values and no data? 

This is something I think that other people may need or have to figure out and Googling it didn't bring up anything useful.

Thanks

Adam

Alteryx Partner

You know, I have not yet encountered this situation... or at least have not noticed :P

The only simple thing I can think of is to Union a row of blank/empty fields to your Join output. If no records come out of the Join, then the Union with a "blank" record will at least give you 1 record to overwrite with. Of course, when you do have Joined records, you get an extra blank row, but the cost/penalty there may be worth the benefit in your case.

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello,

I have recreated your situation on my machine and when I ran with 'Overwrite Sheet (Drop)' option selected it will overwrite the existing file to show the header values with no data.  

If you haven't used it already I placed a block until done tool before each output data to ensure there were no error messages.   Join screenshot.png

Hope this helps.  Please can you provide more information on your workflow if you are still having difficulties.

Nick

Meteoroid

Hi Nick,

Do the Block Until Done tools do anything in your workflow? I had always assumed that they would only block their own part of the workflow but do they block ALL streams of data until they are complete and then allow the other streams to run?

Thanks.

Andy

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello Andy,

I thought the same thing so I thought I would test the situation.  It works if you use the block until done but doesn't work if you don't.

I have now read the documentation and it works as follows...

'Separate stream example

An Input Data tool (ID 1) and a Text Input tool (ID 2) are placed on the canvas. Each input is connected to a Block Until Done tool. The data stream with the Input Data tool runs first, regardless of which Block Until Done tool it is connected to, because its ID indicates that it was placed first.' Source https://help.alteryx.com/2018.2/BlockUntilDone.htm 

Workflow attached.

Thanks,

Nick

Alteryx Certified Partner

Here's a post on how I'd solve this sort of problem:

https://benjnmoss.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/writing-to-the-same-excel-file-in-alteryx/

Ben

Just seen how old this is!

Doh

Labels